microphone to transmitter

Hi! I'm curious if it's possible to add regular microphone to FPV transmitter and if yes then how to do it? I have regular microphone which i took from web camera and it have 2 wires.

Comments

• mjvw42mjvw42 Club Members Posts: 7

Hi

That would totally depend on model of FPV video transmitter you are using. The manual it came with should give this information.

Unfortunately not knowing the model you have I would be guessing.

Most I have come across do have an audio input pin incorporated. You would just need to locate which pins and connect the audio in and GND pin to mic.

Note: If the condenser mic insert you have is the larger type around 5 to 10 mm barrel your audio will just end up a mess.
    The condenser mic's pre-mounted on video transmitters are very small at around 3 to 3.5 mm barrel diameter and can handle the wind and motor noise much better without distortion.

Have a look at Hobbyking SKU: 568000015-0 you will see the audio input on the pinout label in the photo.

Maybe have a look at SKU: 523000022-0 mini combo TX/Cam unit with condenser mic already mounted on camera case.

• German OrlovGerman Orlov Club Members Posts: 23

@mjvw42 said:
    Hi

That would totally depend on model of FPV video transmitter you are using. The manual it came with should give this information.

Unfortunately not knowing the model you have I would be guessing.

Most I have come across do have an audio input pin incorporated. You would just need to locate which pins and connect the audio in and GND pin to mic.

Note: If the condenser mic insert you have is the larger type around 5 to 10 mm barrel your audio will just end up a mess.
    The condenser mic's pre-mounted on video transmitters are very small at around 3 to 3.5 mm barrel diameter and can handle the wind and motor noise much better without distortion.

Have a look at Hobbyking SKU: 568000015-0 you will see the audio input on the pinout label in the photo.

Maybe have a look at SKU: 523000022-0 mini combo TX/Cam unit with condenser mic already mounted on camera case.

Thank you very much for your reply :) Yes i could buy camera with microphone in future. I also ordered external microphone for FPV (with 3 wires). Just thought to use regular microphone while waiting for parcel. So as i understood i just need to connect 2 wires of microphone to GND and AUDIO IN, and whatever in which order?

This is transmitter which i'm going to use - https://cdn-global-hk.hobbyking.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/660x415/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/legacy/catalog/72574s1_2__3.jpg - i see there are 2 contacts for audio, R and L, so i could use just one of them?

• mjvw42mjvw42 Club Members Posts: 7

Many different types of condenser mic's about and most do have a - and +Vcc pin. Hope you can work that out from wires left on condenser mic you reclaimed.
    Your not going to cause any damage to transmitter if you reversed the audio pin connections.
    Correct just pick either L or R for audio input and the Gnd. Or buy a 3 wire condenser mic.

Good luck there.

@mjvw42 said:
    Many different types of condenser mic's about and most do have a - and +Vcc pin. Hope you can work that out from wires left on condenser mic you reclaimed.
    Your not going to cause any damage to transmitter if you reversed the audio pin connections.
    Correct just pick either L or R for audio input and the Gnd. Or buy a 3 wire condenser mic.

Good luck there.

Thank you very much for your tips and advices! :)

edited October 24

@mjvw42 said:

Good luck there.

Hi again :) recently i received 3 wires microphone. I was wondering how i can power it? Red and black wires are already going from FPV transmitter to video camera, should i connect microphone wires to same red and black wires from transmitter? So visually it will be like Y connection.

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭

Yes indeed, providing voltage compatible...

@WTWUK said:
    Yes indeed, providing voltage compatible...

Oh, thank you for answer. I have one more question. What if my transmitter provides 5 volts because of small voltage camera, and microphone requires 6-12, will it be okay to plug 2 wires to battery directly and then 1 wire (signal) to transmitter? Asking just to avoid damaging items because i'm not that experienced in electronics.

What microphone and transmitter are they?

@WTWUK said:
    What microphone and transmitter are they?

I decided just to take a photo.

Yes. A picture is known for painting a thousand words, but in this instance the words needed are not in those thousand words.

Make and model of microphone ..

@WTWUK said:
    Yes. A picture is known for painting a thousand words, but in this instance the words needed are not in those thousand words.
    Make and model of microphone ..

I just was wondering why model name is so important if it's just a regular 3 wires microphone. I just wrote 'fpv microphone' in search and got this one on pages of market. If you want exact name of model, here is what i copied - FA-MT01 6-12VDC :)

edited October 25

Connect the mic to a battery and see what voltage comes out of the audio out wire.

Also check to see how it works with a 5V power supply - it may well be fine, even though rated for 6V+.

Simple to check.

I suspect that mic will be badly affected by wing and prop noise.

edited November 8

@WTWUK said:
    Connect the mic to a battery and see what voltage comes out of the audio out wire.
    Also check to see how it works with a 5V power supply - it may well be fine, even though rated for 6V+.
    Simple to check.
    I suspect that mic will be badly affected by wing and prop noise.

Sorry if my question will sound dumb, but how to measure voltage on audio wire if red and black will be plugged to battery? I plug red wire of multimeter to audio wire of microphone, but to what point plug black wire of multimeter? To battery minus as i guess, like microphone's black?

edited November 8

Measure audio wire to black -ve wire (or a known ground point).

DO NOT measure audio wire to red +ve wire.

edited November 8

@WTWUK said:
    Measure audio wire to black -ve wire (or a known ground point).
    DO NOT measure audio wire to red +ve wire.

Hm, multimeter was showing around 0.3 mV when i checked audio wire, but was around 11 V when i checked on red and black. Hm, is it possible to plug this microphone to earphones somehow? I don't have DVR right now so i can't record video from FPV to see if audio works.

Sounds about right.

Audio wire would need amplifying to be of use with headphones.

If you are reading 11V via the red/black wires are they from a 3S LiPo? If so, you need to charge it as it should show 12.6V when charged.

@WTWUK said:
    Sounds about right.
    Audio wire would need amplifying to be of use with headphones.
    If you are reading 11V via the red/black wires are they from a 3S LiPo? If so, you need to charge it as it should show 12.6V when charged.

So volate in audio out shouldn't be 12 volts? I plugged power supply with 12 volts instead of LiPo battery, still almost no voltage on audio out wire, just some mV.

Some mV is correct.

@WTWUK said:
    Some mV is correct.

I was about to write that it doesn't work and no sound comes from receiver, but then i decided to use other audio wire. Trasmitter have two: green and white. First i used white and it didn't work. Then i noticed that microphone's audio wire have green color, so i decided to connect it to green instead of white, and wow, it worked! First i thought it's weak microphone because sound was not so loud even if i tap surface near microphone by finger, but when i continued my tests i was impressed so much! This microphone have very good distance and sensitivity! I had TV working in one room and i put microphone behind walls near other room and went to listen via headphones, i was able to hear TV very well. Also i put microphone outside behind window and i was able to hear even little squeaks and other random sounds, so nice. Maybe that microphone have control of power, because when i decided to test it near motor, i didn't have pain in ears. Sound was slightly higher and i could hear only motor and it still was sounding acceptable. But microphone was in airplane under cover, because air flow from motor was making sound pretty bad and i barely could hear motor. Well, i'm quite impressed because of that microphone and how cheap it was. Also, i plugged mode of transmitter to 5 volts and it worked too. Good stuff :) well, thank you for trying to help and giving tips. I was glad to share my feelings and impressions after using it :)

👍👍👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file