Lancaster Bomber V2 "Thumper" Newbie needs some advice

Darren ToddDarren Todd Club Members Posts: 4

Hey all, new to the forum and new to the "Hobby".
so I have a polystyrene cub which im learning to fly with... that's my practice plane.
I have been very lucky to have found a V2 Lanc Bomber someone was selling (My fav plane ever, that and the Vulcan)
now, I do not intend to fly the lanc until I have a friend who can land it, or confident enough myself NOT to obliterate it on landing.
Currently is has no battery or receiver, this is the advice im after.
I know it needs a 3s 2200 lipo, but there are so many different ones out the with 20 or 30, 40 on the end, can anyone tell me what that is?
Also, I have a Spektrum DX6I to fly it with (got this separate from someone else) so which RX should I get? im looking at the AR6210 series, but some say sport and some don't... again whats that all about? The guy that sold me the lanc said it went fast enough so don't think I need "Sport" mode.
I will also be looking to get spare parts for it, its been well built but I want to try something with the front and rear turret so would need to get replacements for that. HobbyKing no longer support it and I cant get many spares from them...
Also if anyone has an electronic manual they wouldn't mind sharing that would be great, as I have no instructions to find out sizes of props, motors etc.etc.

Many Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

D.

PS Sorry if this in the wrong place on the forum...

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭

20, 30 and 40 etc. relate to the discharge rate of the batteries.

As an example, a 2200mAh 20C can provide a current of 44Amps continuous until discharged.

Formula is: mAh/1000 x C rating = discharge rate in Amps.

So: 2200/1000 = 2.2 x 20 = 44Amps..

Go for the highest C rating you can find.

As for the receiver, theoretically you can use any Spektrum DSMX and compatible receivers you see fit that has enough channel outputs. There are no such thing as 'sport' receivers, but there are things such as 'park fliers' and 'full range' descriptions. Go for 'full range'.

Spares are unavailable, so if you bust it, it could be bye bye.

Word of advice. Do not even consider flying that Lanc until you are VERY confident in flying, and even then it is a handful. Very easy to tip stall and spiral in. Needs speed kept up pretty much all of the time, and motor failure has to be instantly corrected, or it will end up as a pile of snow on the field. It is not suitable for a first multi-engine flier.

• Darren ToddDarren Todd Club Members Posts: 4

Thanks WTWUK very helpful info, just one other question on Batteries, some say helicopter some say quad, some say cars and some say planes... are these specific to the vehicle its going in? i.e. I cant put a heli one in a plane ?
    its all very technical this hobby as im finding out....
    As for the Lanc, oh it definitely wont be flown until I can, or know someone who can land her, im not wasting this opportunity to have such an awesome bit of kit, and besides; broken, I wont have my BoB memorial flight.... and that's the whole point of this exercise to have the Lanc, Spit and a Hurri in my shed :-D
    It sounds as though you may own one? or have owned one...
    Where abouts in the UK are you based, I may come and watch you fly it, if you have one ;-)

D.

So long as the battery is of sufficient C rating and is of the right shape/size/weight to fit, it makes no odds what it is 'marketed' for.

I did own a Lanc a couple years back, but sold it on when I lost use of my then local flying field. I slightly modified it by steaming in some 'washout' to the wings that helped no end with low speed handling. See RC Groups Lancaster threads to see what mods have been successful with it.

I am space restricted to crashing collective pitch helis nowadays for my sins... Haha!

Thanks again WTWUK.
    Heli's seem a little easier to control to me lol.
    Will have to google what "Steaming in some washout" means lol

D.

edited February 27

Helis easier to control... Ha!! Not in a million years, having the pleasure of both worlds!

They are akin to trying to balance on a ball on top of another ball, on top of a broom handle on top of a ball bearing on a plate of glass.

Fixed wing, when up, can for most models, be hands off when trimmed. Helis are absolutely hands on all the time or disaster will ensue in short shrift! (unless equipped with a fangled all singing, all dancing advanced flight controller like Pixhawk etc.)

Washout (and the opposite washin) is changing the camber of parts of the wing to modify flight dynamics. A black art indeed! Heheh!

Lol i had a big indoor heli that was supposed to fly outside in good weather... worked fine in the warehouse so took it outside on a beautiful sunny day only to have the tinest of breeze whip it up and over an 8ft fence in to a bmw mini plant.... landing was needless to say damaging!! I did look a right plonker when i had to go and ask for my bits back.... all 7 pieces.... from there security.

Thanks for the washout info.... i may be in touch in 12 to 18 months then ;-)

D.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file