Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Orange Tx6i transmitter- not compatible with DSM2 in Europe

Hobby_QweenHobby_Qween Club Members Posts: 76 mod
edited February 2018 in Radios

Dear Community,

There has been a bit of talk recently about the Orange Tx6i transmitter and whether the European version is compatible with DSMX and DSM2 protocols.

Let us set the story straight. Due to some incorrect web copy on our behalf some people may have been led to believe that the EU version was compatible with DSM2 protocol which is not the case. This protocol is illegal for use within Europe and because of this the EU version is only compatible with DSMX receivers. The international version (US/AU) is compatible with both DSMX and DSM2 receivers though.

In addition to being compliant with local laws this radio also has full RED and FCC certification so rest assured your plane is in good hands with the Orange Tx6i!

We apologize for any confusion, customer support will of course assist any EU customers with refunds should they wish to return.

Comments

• BrettBrett Qld, AustraliaClub Members Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi Katy,
    I was a little disappointed to see the Tx6i battery bay went with the molded AA batt holder, rather than the flat tray design that catered for Li batts and optional JST socket on the T-Six.

can you find out from the Engineers as to what the maximum voltage the OrangeRx Tx6i can take as an input. Obviously it has 4 AAs (up to 6 V) for normal use, but could it handle being modded to take a 2Cell Li-Ion (up to 8.4V) ?

cheers

• HelperHelper Club Members Posts: 436 admin
    edited February 2018

@Brett The radio is designed for 4xAA batteries therefore for 6V max operating voltage, therefore HobbyKing would advise against modding it. In addition to you would void the warranty.

• eldiablo155eldiablo155 Club Members Posts: 6
    edited March 2018

Hi , it looks like it's not compatible using orange receivers R615x and R620x. These receivers should be DSM2 and DMSX , but for some reason i'm having some wierd behaviors by this radio, and same does the radio of a friend of mine : same kind of radio , same kind of receivers ... same signal losses experience .... and a couple of airplane crashes, good for garbage due to signals lost. If anyone of you have any tip about TX firmware update , I'll be happy to give it a look. Maybe iternational version is illegal in EU/UK ... but if it will preserve my airplanes ...

on a side note : I guess my friend and I won't be the only 2 guys having this kind of issues in the hole EU/UK countries ...maybe a solution is needed

• Hobby_QweenHobby_Qween Club Members Posts: 76 mod
    edited March 2018

Hi Eldiablo,

The R615x and R620x are fully compatible with DSM2 and DSMX. May I ask if you were flying in a dense area? Flying in such an area can lower the range to around 50-100m easily, as is the case with any EU radio (due to the lowered output we must adhere to for legal reasons).

If you perform a range test and the control works in 30m then it's likely an interference from a heavily dense area that is causing the signal loss.

Let me know how you get on buddy.

edited March 2018

Hi , the range test goes off a way before 30 long steps ( which are not 30 mts ) , around 21 you'll have signals lost.
    I have also a DX6i , Spectrum , and a Turnigy TGY-i6 AFHDS as trasmitters , and they work fine.
    Range tests are been done at the flight location and also outside my garage , still , the signal was lost arount 21 feet ( with the radio pointing the airplane ,it goes worse than that if you'll facing the radio toward the ground or in the opposite airplane position) , in flight , it's easy have it lost around 30-50 mts away.
    Like I said , this problem is not just mine , or I would think my radio is faulty , I have a friend of mine which has the same kind of radio and the same receivers , yet he's having signals lost experiences.
    Two weeks ago , we crashed two airplanes , one each , and the for some lucky reason , he took back safe and sound his Bixles 3 , which is working with an R620x receiver, he lost the signal for a good 3 seconds ( that's what we saw ) , and once he made she landed the receiver was flashing red 3 times .
    I tried to open a ticket , not for an RMA request , but for have an help about software or hardware updates .
    The guy I was in contact with, closed my ticket cuz I pulled the antenna's wires off the radio , trying to have a better signal. Like i said I'm not looking for an RMA , so I don't really care about modding the radio.
    A couple of days ago, I found while surfing the net a boost amplifier for 2.4 GHz, and I brough it , then i though " would HK have it ?" The answer is yes , but right now is out of stock .
    I like the most spend 40 more €uros between amplifier and shipping cost rather than risk to breake airplanes or/and causing damage to people. We have an insurance, but it will be better if we won't need it
    I'm waiting it to comes , and I'll try to give it a go , and see if I'll have better performances.
    For now , what I can say is : I see you guys have to stay down the laws , but at least give us the possibility to make a choice if it will be fair brake the role for safety , or risk to crash airplanes who knows where ... and ( it already happened ) none knows where an airplane out of control will go crashing untill she crashed
    Just for let you know , in Italy , licenced RC pilots can go 250 mts away wide and 150 mts as hight
    my 2 cent$
    bye bye

edited March 2018

Hi, I'll tell you what :
    the signal goes off a way before 30 mts , 21-22 steps maximum(and they are not 22 mts ) , facing the radio toward the airplane , it'll go worse than that if you'll pointing the Tx toward the ground or in the airplane opposite direction.
    Range tests are been done at our flight field and even outside my garage with the same results using R615x , R620x - orange - and original Specktrum receivers , 4 and 6 channell ( full range)
    I have also a DX6i from Spectrum and a Turnigy TGY-i6 AFHDS, and they work fine, for that reason I'm not thinking about dense area - radio jammings , cuz we're flying in a open wide as you will see from here

I tried to open a ticket , I wasn't looking for an RMA , but for some software or hardware updates/add on , or just an help anyway .
    The guy I was in contact with, closed my ticket cuz I pulled the antenna wires out the radio while trying to have a better signal.
    Like I said, I'm not looking for an RMA , so I don't care about warranty or RMA stuff while modding the radio.
    I have a friend of mine which has the same kind of radios , and receivers , and yet he's experiencing signals lost with the latest OrangeRx Tx6i.
    If he wasn't , I may though about my radio to be faulty one
    Two weeks ago , we crashed two airplanes , one each, cuz they went out of control , My old HK F4 Phantom is gone , and his T28 did a hole in the ground.
    Than he tried to fly with his Bixler 3 , working with an R620x receiver .Meawhile the flight, airplane went out of control for a good 3 seconds , and once he made she luckly landed the receiver was doing 3 red flashing.
    I like to repeat , I'm not looking for an RMA , but for a solution about this matter , so couple of days ago while surfing the net I found a 2.4 GHz ampifier booster and I bought it, then I though ' would HK have it ? ' The answer is yes , but for now is out of stock.
    I'm waiting it to comes and I'll see if I'll get better perfomances than what I had till now.

I'm still in a wonder why that guy did not say anything about that... won't be my concern anyway

For the sake of the thruth , I like the most spend 40 €uros more , rather than crash airplanes or cause damage to things and/or people , cuz no one knows where an airplane out of control will crash ultill crashed ( this happened already like i said ) , and the only thing you can do is look bewildered and scream "watchout!"

• Speaking about you HK guys : I see your point to be down the laws , but at least leave us ( the costumers ) the choice if it'll be fair break a role for safety or not , leave us the double option from international and EU/UK frequence on the radio , cuz when I bought the radio I didn't know about this big difference from EU/UK - INTL signal ( if this is the reason about the poor trasmitting frequency ... maybe yes ... maybe not)
      Sure thing is : that radio is a planekiller , and unless I'll find a working solution I won't use it anymore , I'll rather prefer to buy a new one instead

For let you know : in Italy a licenced RC pilot can go 250 mts wide and 150 mts hight.
    We ( my friends and I ) have an insurance , but it'll be better if we don't use it
    my 2 cent$
    bye bye

• Gene_FTGene_FT Club Members Posts: 2

Hey eldiablo,
    The radio is fully compatible with dsm2 and dsmx. In EU there is limitation - no dsm2 and power is no more than 10mW, correct me if I am wrong.
    Quick question.
    What FPV VTx output power in your setup?

• Hobby_QweenHobby_Qween Club Members Posts: 76 mod

Hi Gene and Eldiablo,

EU version is 25mw, Gene :)

Eldiablo, I apologize again that you're having these issues but hand on my heart I haven't had any feedback from customers regarding these problems you are experiencing. I have made note of the issues though and will take a deeper look if I receive more complaints on these receivers.

Thanks again for letting me know

edited March 2018

Hello to all of you guys and ladies
    @ Gene : as Vtx is an Aomway 5.8Ghz Switchable 25/200mW , very versatile and easy to use , video was recorded using a RunCam FULL HD 1080P been placed on top side the wing of a Bixler3 ,R615x receiver , Spektrum DX6i as TX, goggle is a Quanum Fatshark Genesis HD , ... really cool with a very good resolution ... I love it !!
    All these stuff are been bought on HK site ( except the radio ) , shouldn't be tuff find them if you may need.
    About the radio and the issues, it looks like you don't have this radio, I hope none will have an airplane out of control when radio and batteries are brand new , it's something terrorizing , you'll see your airplane going ... and she goes , input are useless , no responses from any servos, nothing is working but she still surfs the wind ... and goes ... and goes ... till crash, and meanwhile you're heading toward the crash site ,the only hope is to not have damage anything - cars, windows ... and don't forget the sheeps in the camp just close to the other road side , and more important none person...

@ Hobby_Queen : I'll appreciated any help you can give me , and thank you for you kindly reply. I'll be waiting for any news from you.
    bye bye

edited April 2018

More tests are been done in these past days , it looks like the R620Xs are the way to go , the R615Xs are absolutely not compatible , I guess the first time I lost the signal with 620 was for the antenna wires not been well placed inside the airplane... more updates will come if needed ...
    bye bye

• Peter O'LoughlinPeter O'Loughlin Club Members Posts: 1

I've written to both of you. I dunno if you got them. I have the same issue.
    So you recon the 620 is the go hey. Because I'm using the 615 as well.
    Might even give it a go.....carefully. But my replacement Taranis will be on its way soon. Side issue, why are there no Taranis receivers in Oz at the moment?
    Thanks.

• GoldGuyGoldGuy Club Members Posts: 2

Was the problem ever solved??

I've got FBs who suffered the same issue, but with other brands of TXs. Once a proper UBEC was installed the problem was solved. You can only work the BEC in the ESC according to it's maximum amp output.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file