Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First NZ Drone Flying Conviction

SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
An idiot who flew his silly little white moulded plastic drone in a NO FLY ZONE during a major bush fire operation where helicoptors were operating, and then gave footage to TV to use, has just been convicted in Christchurch Court. Sentencing has been deferred to June probably for Judge to confer with collegues re a suitable sentence as this is the first case under NZ Civil Aviation laws.

It had to happen sooner or later. image

Comments

• DonNZDonNZ Club Members Posts: 4
    He may not have been operating as a sheltered operation.

I do not know what separation he had to maintain.
  • jstremmlerjstremmler Germany&U.S.A.Club Members Posts: 436
    Only good thing is that he/she did not crash in an operating helicopter in the area and nobody was injured.

These multicopter terrorists need to be sentenced to go to jail for at least 10 years!
  • __Evan__Evan Club Members Posts: 1,122
    I wonder whether a suitable solution would be to simply say "all footage recorded within a no-fly zone without prior permission is property of the Civil Aviation Authority". If you were hoping to make money by selling the footage to the TV companies, what you have actually achieved is a small profit for the CAA (since they now own the copyright to the video that you recorded). They can then use this profit to prosecute you for flying in a no-fly zone!

As an added bonus, if you claim that the copyright is yours and then sell it to the TV companies, you're guilty of copyright infringement too - as is the TV company. The TV company's response to this is likely to be a lawsuit against you to recover any money they paid (as a result of your lie regarding content ownership) so you get to deal with that too!

And, of course, since this person has clearly been willing to endanger commercial aircraft, they need to be added to the worldwide no-fly list to ensure extra special treatment next time they go anywhere near an airport.__Evan2016-09-18 15:11:50
  • SawdustSawdust Club Members Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭
    I like Evan's idea, it's win win all around. With the possible exception of any legitimate aircraft or personnel that happen to get hit by this bloody idiots toy. Of course the irresponsible owner doesn't do too well out of it but he deserves everything he gets for flying that thing anywhere near full sized aircraft plus emergency crews on the ground.
  • SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    Actually I think he eventually got slapped with a wet bus ticket by a Judge using a limp wrist action.
  • SawdustSawdust Club Members Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell image ! I didn't notice we'd been dragged into a time warp topic by someone again image .

Well if he got off pretty much like you said, that judge needs a slap across the face with a wet Mullet. There needs to be some sort of deterrent to that sort of thing. We get them here down the beach and headland just about every weekend, I've told a few of the worse (as in dangerously flying close to people) to f image ck off myself. We've also had a very near miss with the Westpac rescue heli that usually flies around along the beach fronts quite low.
  • SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    That's right Sawdust - beats time travel. image
  • __Evan__Evan Club Members Posts: 1,122
    One thing I've been curious about is what happens if you point an aviation radar unit at a drone.

Even the small, ancient radars (as are common on some of the larger light aircraft) are normally good for a 6kW+ pulse. Presumably the radar used by larger aircraft are significantly more powerful than that. Maybe full-size aircraft need an adaptive radar dish that first sends a nice, wide pulse to locate drones, then reshapes to a parabola to focus the next pulse on a specific drone. The aim, of course, is to microwave any drone that comes anywhere near the plane.__Evan2016-09-19 19:36:18
  • WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭
    Yeah frazzle the buggers. Or better still fit ARM missiles like the ALARM. There are a few of them kicking about since the RAF no longer has an anti-radar missile capability due to ALARM being retired ... tsk!!!WTWUK2016-09-19 20:30:37
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Back in the day at RAF Locking, the guys training on microwave gear used to aim the dishes at pigeons parked along the eaves (smelt horrible when they hit the ground)image
  • KaosKaneKaosKane Club Members Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭
    the cops should use net drones and confiscate the offending drones. or ground launched entanglement devicesKaosKane2016-09-24 07:10:14

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file