Large Scale Landing Gear for Bates|Ziroli|ESM|Et Cetera

timmy144timmy144 Club Members Posts: 1

I'm wondering about the landing gear section on the website. There's a good range of landing gear throughout the different scales. However, when you go to the the big scale stuff (90"/2m and up), there's not much to choose from that cater specifically to the big kit builds.

The few oleos and retracts in there are very vague in their descriptions and the amount of different retract-oleo interface differences are wild. There's some retracts that have 11mm pins, some with 12.7mm pins, others with 5mm pins. Having an appropriate oleo and a retract that marry together ideally is very lucky in my experience. I have a 2m ARF FockeWulf 190 with oleos that came with an 11mm pin and the best retracts I could find only had a 10mm pin hole. I had to drill them out the extra 1mm, less than ideal...

Rant over. However, I would like to understand why a reputable online store like Hobbyking can't compete with the likes of Sierra Giant Scale, Robart and Shindin etc. To get scale looking retracts from one of those vendors will cost more than AU$1000 for a set of Oleos for a 2m warbird (to Australia). I'm building a Jerry Bates 1/5.5 Sea Fury at the moment and I'm getting frustrated at the difficulties of choosing some basic oleos to have a few first flights with it before I pull the trigger on a set of Sierras...

A lot of their gear is made to order, but there's lots of big mustangs, corsairs, warhawk kits being built out there...

Thoughts? Discuss...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file