Cells vs ESC vs Motor?

Derek MayDerek May Club Members Posts: 16

Hi all, I’m looking to get the Phoenix 1600 glider and it suggests an 1800mah 2S. I have extra Turnigy 2200mah 3S batteries from my Radjet - can I use these or does the battery have to be 2S for the motor?

What is the convention with ESC with respect to mah / cells? For instance why would you choose 3S over 2S - is this purely governed by the motor as it seems most ESC’s can handle 2S - 4S?

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭

The correlation is defined by the Amperage the ESC can handle.

If the ESC has a capability of say 30Amps continuous, and 3S to 4S voltage, so long as you do not breach those limits it will be OK

However, the motor also has to be capable of withstanding heat generated due to the Wattage it will produce.

In your Phoenix, if you run it with 3S, it will get very hot very quickly, as the motor will always try to spin at its rated KV RPM. You would need to fit a smaller diameter/lower pitch prop to stop that happening.

Getting the match correct is critical, as it is all too easy to fry ESC or motor and to puff batteries.

• Derek MayDerek May Club Members Posts: 16

Ok thanks... just about getting my head around this! Anyway for the sake of a few pounds / dollars and the potential headaches and melted motors I’m just going to get a 2S battery! 👍😁

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file