Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1st time flyer

Warrick FitzGeraldWarrick FitzGerald Club Members Posts: 5

Hi guys,

I'm looking to put together a cost effective 1st time flyer package.

Plane + Controller.

I feel quite overwhelmed with the controller options specifically as I don't understand what controller works with which planes.

For example if I buy a $60 controller today will I wish I'd just purchased the $150 version a month from now.

I'd appreciate some advice / what your experience was and some of the hard lessons you learned while getting into the sport.

Thanks
Warrick

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭
    edited July 12

For your radio, get the best you can afford - if you can something from FrSky (Taranis X9D+ or X10 if you can stretch to it) will serve you very well indeed, particularly as they can/do run OpenTX (even better put erskyTX on one!) firmware which is extremely configurable and has new features added with great regularity.

And for your first aircraft, go for the AXN Floater Jet. Without doubt the best trainer there is!

• Warrick FitzGeraldWarrick FitzGerald Club Members Posts: 5

Thank you sir, I did exactly that. I got the Taranis X9D which was way more than I was planning to spend ... bu t that was really what I wanted to know ... am I going to buy 3 poor controller and then finally figure out that I should have just gotten the Taranis X9D ... and I think the answer was yes, just drop the $. Thanks, looking forward to testing it all out.

I just realized that I needed a reciever on the plane also. Is the FrSky R9 Slim+ a descent option to go with the plane? The Taranis X9D+ that I purchased came with a FrSky R9M.

You can use the R9 receiver, but check on the legal aspects of using it in your country.

But you can still use the D series receivers anywhere.

Thanks, I'm in the USA and from what I've read the majority of the restrictions seem to apply more to Europe. What I couldn't figure out is why I'd go for a regular R9 reciever instead of the R9 Slim+ ... the regular R9 just seems bigger and heavier .. why would I ever want to do that?

Potentially the standard R9 rx has a better/more components giving longer and more robust RF link.

Very often mini/micro rx have less range. Not always - but often mini-rx are more used for parkflyer models, rather than big aircraft that need lots of space.

• Lee Osborne Lee Osborne Club Members Posts: 17

I know you’ve already had great advice and purchased a transmitter but another way to look at it is that as an absolute beginner why pay more than you have to in case you find the hobbies not for you?

i have the Turnigy i6 and it’s cheap and fantastic value.

ive had Spektrum in the past and found that the i6 does almost everything a £200 + set does at a fraction of the cost.

Best of luck with your first flights!

Thanks Lee, noted. I can always return goods but I have a feeling I'm only going to get deeper into this. If you understood how many Youtube video's I've watched at this point ... lol

Once the bug bites .. heheh!

I had only ever intended to stick with just one 450 class helicopter. That ended up being five, plus 3 x 500 x 2, a 600, 700, 250 x 3, fixed wing x 8, multicopters x 5.

Unfortunately, my flying field has been refurbished into a pair of fenced off football pitches, so for fixed wing it means a better part of 45 mile round trip to fly them, so most have been sold off.

In the beginning I had a 6 channel radio that I 'thought' would do fine. It did - until I needed channel 7. Taranis was not available then, so I got a 10 channel radio. It was great. Until I needed channel 11 ... see where this is going?

Keep the Taranis. You will never need to buy another radio.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file