Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Preferred prices for Platinum Members?

KmotKmot Club Members Posts: 9

How's it going HK?

I have been a customer for years and actually have many more orders under my belt than what your system currently shows, due to my history being wiped out when you re-did your format a couple of years ago. But that is an aside, just wanted to mention I have observed the idiosyncrasies of your website for a very long time.

In the past, when I came to your website but was not logged on, and looked at an item, it showed the price. Then after logging into my account, the price of the item always dropped a few percent because I am a Platinum Member.

However, for at least several months now, I can come to the website and not be logged in, look at an item, and see the price. Then after logging in as a Platinum Member, and looking at the item again the price remains the same. There is no longer any reduction in price indicated for a Platinum Member.

So to my question: Has preferred pricing for Platinum Members been scrapped?

Comments

• HobbyKing_CEOHobbyKing_CEO Club Members Posts: 128 admin

Hi @Kmot

We haven't scrapped Platinum pricing. It's still very much part of our core strategy to reward loyal customers. The discount varies according to each product but can be as much as 15%.

It's hard to comment on your specific observation however, my hunch is that you've been affected by the recent surge in MAP pricing from Chinese factories. MAP pricing is where the factory forces us to sell an item for a "minimum advertised price". Often we don't want to hold MAP pricing for products as our value proposition is to have everyday low pricing. MAP prices are generally much higher than we'd like to sell an item which means that the price you see when not logged in, won't change when you do log in.

MAP pricing has become extremelly popular among hobby suppliers and appears to only be gathering in pace. To counter this HobbyKing has been investing heavily in it's own product lines so that we're not forced to follow an MAP. To this end our goal is to continue offering the very best products for the lowest price possible.

Hope that helps,

Toby

• KmotKmot Club Members Posts: 9

Hi Toby,

That makes sense, and explains the issue clearly. Thank you for the reply.

Best regards,

-Tom

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭

MAP is a stinky restrictive practice that only serves the entity that sets the price.

Something that is frowned upon in the EU and the USofA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file