Experimental Boat/Plane Build; Airboat or Long Prop Shaft ?

Gary SatterleeGary Satterlee Club Members Posts: 3

Hi,
Building a model of a boat/plane 1/4 scale to the real deal. The model is 32" long X 6" wide with a wing 5'6" long X 18" wide. It will have two large pontoons for stability. It is intended to fly using "surface effect" like pelicans, just inches off the water surface. I can power it with an electric "outboard" with a long, very long, shaft, or an electric fan like an airboat. The outboard configuration would require the motor be mounted on a swivel to raise and lower the prop. Problem here would be the prop attitude to the water at different shaft angles relative to the water. The fan sounds much simpler.
Finally the question. Assuming you don't convince me to go with the outboard model, how do I determine what sort of engine/prop would best suit my Frankenstein creation?
Also, I'll need all the electronics to go with it and two servos. I don't want to go cheap but I don't want to break the bank either.
Happy to send photos of the construction so far if you'd like.
Thanks a bunch,
Gary

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭

You are building a 'wing in groun effect' craft.

Better off with the fan powered version, as an outboard approach would seriously upset the aerodynamics.

Would like to see your photos - you have a very interesting project underway!

• Gary SatterleeGary Satterlee Club Members Posts: 3

Hello WTWUK
    Photos tomorrow. I have to make her presentable (that is, so you will know what you're looking at!)
    Gary

• Gary SatterleeGary Satterlee Club Members Posts: 3

We're under construction, but here's her current state. I'll finishe the wing with a cover of rip-stop nylon once I'm done with thr foam forms. The pontoons still need a wood top and then shaping. I agree with the fan propulsion, but now. do we want the fan pushing or pulling?

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭

How about running it with a ducted fan unit? Plenty of powerful light-weight units available.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file