Multistar 20A ESC BEC /wiring Q.

I have just received this product but receiver wires are Green and Black, and wired to the outside plug terminals. No wire to middle terminal. Green goes to the normal signal terminal.
I have no power anywhere. I've seen that the centre wire (which is usually red and the + power) should be removed to disable BEC, but I want BEC ENABLED.
What's the story?

Answers

• HelperHelper Club Members Posts: 438 admin

@Julian Whittaker I had a quick look and the only Multistar 20A ESC I could find were OPTO only. I would suggest you contact HobbyKing Customer Services to check your order:

https://support.hobbyking.com/hc/en-us/articles/203662684-Live-Chat-and-Email-Support

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭
    edited January 9

Multistar ESC's of the type referred to ( gren and black signal wires, 32bit OPTO's) are OPTO types. None have BEC's, as they are for use on multicopters with power distribution boards, or flight control boards many of which have a 5V take off.

These:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-32bit-20a-0-lite-before-is-18a.html

• Julian WhittakerJulian Whittaker Club Members Posts: 7

Yes thanks, but I'm curious about the OPTO in the specs, see my other post.

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭

The spec lists the BEC as OPTO. Technically it should be listed as 'None' or 'No BEC'.

A true OPTO ESC actually refers to an ESC where the throttle control low voltage signal circuit is electrically isolated from the High voltage motor power circuit and uses an optical beam to communicate between the two.

Unfortunately the term has been wrongly broadened to include simple ordinary ESC's that do not have inbuilt BEC's, which is misleading.

True OPTO ESC's do have the three wire lead, as they do require a low voltage power supply from a battery or standalone BEC to energise their circuitry.

Very misleading.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file