yep 40 and 60 esc's gettong too hot

John LairdJohn Laird Club Members Posts: 3

Running a 40A yep sbec at 30A the heat sink gets very hot. Tried it at 20A - just the same. Thermal cutout came in after about 3 mins.

On same axi 2814/10 motor and 3 lipo setup, tried 30 A on a yep 60A sbec and get the same very hot heat sink.

For comparison, tried a hobbywing Flyfun 60A on a emax BL 2820/07 motor and 3lipo setup and it got hot but nowhere near the heat of the YEPs. YEP esc's set up on factory defaults with timing on auto.

I dont fancy flying a model with these esc's getting this hot. Reviews on the sale pages dont indicate any heat problems.

Any help on this as I dont want to write off 3 esc's as a bad buy??

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭

Do you have any airflow over them?

• John LairdJohn Laird Club Members Posts: 3

@WTWUK said:
    Do you have any airflow over them

Yes - for wattmeter checking purposes, battery and esc are in open airstream from the prop, but in model, will be put in a tight space with cooling air entering thru small openings in nose, going over axi motor then past esc/battery. On current heating up, I am doubtful that enough cooling will take place.
    Thanks for comment.

Odd. Have used YEP/YGE ESC's (and other identical but differently branded ones) from 18A to 120A in helis for years and given them a hard time when they do get quite warm, but never experienced heat like you are seeing. To get an idea of the heat, can you keep a finger on one for any length of time?

Do you have the programming card so you can change timings etc. - it could be they don't play well as supplied with that particular motor? I have had that issue with an Emax ESC that got oh my hot with a particular motor that was fine on a HobbyWing Flyfun ESC ...

• John LairdJohn Laird Club Members Posts: 3

Thanks for responses - I finally pinned the problem down to ME :censored:

I got so used to my emax motors on about 1000Kva that I forgot that the AXI which I picked up at a modellers table sale
    had a higher Kva. When I finally got round to checking, the Kva was 1600 and the poor thing was way over propped and that reflected back onto the YEP esc.

Trawling thru the Power forum , I came across reference to the impact on current load of the Kva which confirmed my conclusions. You can see the reference here

[URL="https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3188035-ESC-Question"]https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3188035-ESC-Question[/URL]

Reducing the prop from 10 x 6 to 9 x 6 made quite a difference

As the Bird of Time is not endowed with plenty of space in the nose compartment, I will be adding some scoops to augment the air intakes as the YEP is still running hotter than I am used to. need to order smaller folding props to cool it down further assuming that I still get enough thrust.

thanks

Yes indeed overpropping can cause Amps to skyrocket. Great that you got a result, as I mentioned I have yet to see a YEP run 'that' hot. They are very good ESC's indeed.

• Guy BoudreauGuy Boudreau Club Members Posts: 1

Same problem with my Su-35 push prop. ESC becomes extremely hot and no control on the throttle in the third flight. Need for air flow or bigger ESC?

What ESC amperage, battery voltage, motor and prop?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file