Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New radios and batteries, Phoenix 2000

Mark A ShofnerMark A Shofner Club Members Posts: 17

I just received two new Turnigy lipo batteries and two TGY-i6 radios so I could buddy box fly with my grandson. I installed the first radio receiver into a 6-year old Phoenix 2000. The elevator and vertical stabilizer flaps worked fine. I plugged the right aileron servo into slot 1 and left wing servo into slot 6 as instructed. The right wing operated perfectly, but the left aileron servo extended forward as soon as the battery was plugged in and was inoperable. I switched the left wing servo to channel 1 slot and then IT worked just fine. Tried the second radio with its receiver, same results. Also the motor wouldn't work with either, so I assume it needs a new ESC. But the original aileron issue has me baffled. Any ideas about that and an ESC suggestion?

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭

TAER not AETR

• Mark A ShofnerMark A Shofner Club Members Posts: 17

Not sure what that means, but I sure would like to get this problem with the plane fixed.

ESC goes into chan 1 - and must be calibrated before it will work properly. Aileron in chan 2, elevator in chan 3, rudder in chan 4. Chan 5 and up depends on your mixes.

That is contradicting the instructions. But I tried it anyway, it seems it fried the receiver. It is now unresponsive even though I rehooked it up according to the instructions. :-( The receivers must have both been defective, though.

Changing channels will absolutely not fry receivers. Even plugging in with wrong polarity will not fry them.

However, plugging them in sideways could, but unlikely for anyone to do that.

Something else is amiss. Can you post pics of your connections?

So glad to know that action fry them. The photos are photo1. ESC on top 2. The left wing into ch6 and the right wing into ch1. Not sure why the electronics went dead, but I did not plug in sideways.

I removed the elevators and vertical stabilizer servo connections for clarity and because they worked fine(except the elevator control was opposite control response to the radio, but I thought I could change it in the radio utility).

And to clarify my previous comment, "was glad to know that my action did not fry them."

What is in the B/VCC port?

That is the ESC, that is per the instruction manual.

Or is this incorrrect?

The B/VCC port is for a battery or BEC only for powering things in a glowplug motor etc., not for an ESC, as it provides no control signal for throttle.
    The ESC must be in Chan 3 by the looks of it, and nothing in the B/VCC port, unless your ESC is of the OPTO type with no inbuilt BEC.

Additionally, if your ESC has a BEC that provides 5v power, under no circumstances put anything else that provides power into the B/VCC port, as that could indeed fry the receiver.

Not sure why the manual indicates the correct power slot is the B/BCC port, but the sweet sound of the ESC came on, and the motor now works when I plugged the ESC into CH3. Unfortunately, the left wing servo still completely retracts and then is disabled, even when I switched it to the remaining CH4 slot. I'm concluding both receivers have defective CH6 slots. I'm a little disappointed the manual is incorrect.

Look at the channel indicator and channel mix screens for chan6. It may be linked to a switch.

Use a single servo one at a time in each channel port to see what they do. Check all stick movements, switches etc. to see what happens. I do not think your receivers are faulty.

I ordered one this afternoon to see what is what with this receiver.

Went to Aux channels, then to Channel 6. Source was VrB, when I changed Source to "none", the aileron centered, but still did not work. I'll have to study up on what VrA and VrB is. I will be away from the computer until after 11PM, but I'll be checking then. Thanks!

edited December 2018

Vra and b are the rotary knobs.

To get aileron onto chan6, you need to have a mix slaved (source) to chan1 for the basic operation. Then that mix will need endpoints and centring setup to give equal operation of each aileron.

Thanks, I'll be reading up on how to do that.

Just tinkered with the mix, and it worked! You are the best! Thanks! No defective RMA needed.

Ah excellent! Got there in the end!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file