Control board replacement for toy drone

twinsen82twinsen82 Club Members Posts: 3
edited August 2018 in General Drones

Hi,
My son has a overmax 2.5 toy drone and the control board died after a rough landing. (Don't ask me how, I wasn't there ;)) The motors, propellers and the case are all ok, except for the boards which seems to be short-circuited. I would like to replace the control board and need some advice on the topic. The dead one has:

• integrated brushed motor drivers
  • integrated receiver
  • runs on a single (1s) lipo battery

I've seen a few small control boards that meet these criteria, but I can't decide which one to take... Can you recommend me one? If it has tune able open firmware it's a plus.

I assume I need to buy a new transmitter as well, as the control boards I've seen are either flysky or frsky, and most probably the current transmitter is neither of these...

I'm familiar with electronics and microcontrollers, so the replacement will be fine, if I find the right board.

Thanks!

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭

Look for something like an F3 EVO brushed controller...

• twinsen82twinsen82 Club Members Posts: 3

FLF3 Evo and FRF3 Evo both seem ok, the only one question remains: which radio flavor should I choose? Can you recommend a transmitter as well?

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭

For the FLF3 you need either something like the FlySky/Turnigy FSi6 or TH9X v2

For the FLR3 ... FrSky X9D Plus Taranis or Taranis Lite. (Superb radios - best option for futureproofing as you will get bitten by the RC bug sooner or later! Hahah!!)

• twinsen82twinsen82 Club Members Posts: 3
    edited August 2018

Hi,
    I consulted with the end user (8yo), and he didn't like the bulky pro transmitters, but really liked the game controller shaped turnigy evo. It will also fit his hands better, so that's what we'll take. It's AFHDS 2A, so the FLF3 evo controller on HobbyKing won't work, but I found the same controller with the newer protocol on [some other site].

In the meantime I've watched some videos on youtube on the setup of cleanflight with the radio (the RC bug starts biting :wink:), and I'm sure I'll have more questions.

I'll let you know of the updates!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file