Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tx/

PartsParts IlClub Members Posts: 12
Ok I think I'll get a new Tx/Rx. Being I've been out of the sport for around 26 years I find My old Futaba 6EXA will work but it is no longer made or supported. Looking at spending around 150.00 give or take. Maybe a 4-6 channel. What would you guys ( WTWUK ) recommend??? I will be using it on a AXN Floater-Jet Glider.

Comments

• SootySooty ✭✭✭ Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    Go for a 9XR-PRO with a Frsky X series module and receiver if on a tight budget, or for double the money you can get a Taranis or newly released Futaba 10 Channel radio. All those options are "future proofed" and have built in telemetry and the Frsky receivers also used with Taranis come with built in RX battery monitoring. For an extra $15 for a plug-in sensor you can monitor your flight battery as well.

If you just want to limit yourself to an AXN buy a second hand Futaba 2.4 ghz 6EX for around $50 together with a Frsky FASST receiver (no telemetry) and go have a ball.

Sooty2016-07-14 06:06:03
  • PartsParts IlClub Members Posts: 12
    Is this the correct receiver FrSky XSR 2.4 Ghz ACCST Receiver

What moduleParts2016-07-14 06:35:53
    You will find this under Radios & Receivers:

FrSky XJT 2.4Ghz Combo Pack for JR w/ Telemetry Module & X8R 8/16Ch S.BUS ACCST Telemetry Receiver

Get the combo if you think you will move on to bigger and more sophisticated models. Unfortunately the combo is the only way to buy the XJT module from Hobby King at the moment.

For the AXN or other small models I would also purchase the smaller 4 channel receiver:

FrSky_X4R_4ch_2_4Ghz_ACCST_Receiver_w_telemetry
    SOOTY

Got the 9rx pro and the x8r.Also have the plane built. Q where and how do I mount the two antenna leads?

ThanksParts2016-07-27 01:07:01
  • WTWUKWTWUK ✭✭✭ CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much anywhere so long as they are separated. Best option is one horizontal and the other vertical.
    I have them mounted but there is not much separation. How much is neeed?Parts2016-07-28 06:13:37
  • WTWUKWTWUK ✭✭✭ CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭
    as much as you can get in the space available.
    With the XR8 you can stick velcro on to the PCBs (the black bit on the ends) for mounting purposes. Separation is not so important as orientation at 90 deg. to each other. You can also get the ordinary whisker antennae in various lengths to swap where the black bits are too bulky for the receiver space and poke them through the foam fuselage and tape to the outside surface. The clear hinge tape is good for doing that - better than cellotape.

Some suppliers add a set of whiskers to the package at no extra cost. I keep a few spares as these often snap with a decent prang due to being taped in position. They are a snap-on clip fit and easy to replace.

When setting up your model don't have the Transmitter too close to the XR8 as they do funny / frightening things under signal overload conditions. I had never struck that before the X series of gear came along and was reluctant to fly with those receivers until I thoroughly tested them at various ranges.Sooty2016-07-28 07:25:28
  • CAMMERCAMMER Club Members Posts: 507

When space is limited in a model, I velcro the Rx to

inside of fus. then exit ant. thru 2 small holes to

outside of fus., and as suggested mount one horiz.

and one vert.

edit. was eating breakfast while writing, didn't mean to

steal idea from sooty image CAMMER2016-07-28 07:33:57
  • mpjf01mpjf01 ✭✭ Club Members Posts: 1,009 ✭✭
    The active bits of the whisker are flimsy. If they are in the airstream they tend to bend and flop around whereas you will get better RF performance (range) when they are kept straight. So put them in plastic tubes, thin drinking straws work and HK sells an item for this purpose as well. If DIY, make sure that the straw is RF transparent, some colours are sometimes not, especially white apparently. To test, put the straw in a microwave oven and switch on. If the straw gets hot, don't use it.
This discussion has been closed.