Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOS flying and orientation tips

jkosmidesjkosmides Club Members Posts: 10
I fly LOS and found that adding 2 bright LEDs on the front of my 250 helped a ton when it comes to staying oriented and knowing when the quad is pointing at me. In my case, the LEDs are close together but I can see how getting some separation between them would help even more to discern orientation.

I'm wondering if there are other tips that LOS flyers could suggest for staying oriented and out of trouble?

Comments

• jstremmlerjstremmler Germany&U.S.A.Club Members Posts: 436
    I dont quite understand how adding two LED's can help when you fly FPV and so far away that you reach LOS (Loss of Signal). For my opinion only proper programming the failsafe option of your FC can help, when you loose signal and no LED's...!

Here again we can see what acronyms can do to you:

http://www.abbreviations.com/LOS

jstremmler2016-07-11 15:05:34
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Johann - 'LOS' is 'Line of Sight' - not signal loss image

Edit: What the OP could try are 4 LEDs instead of two - a pair of green at the 'front' and a pair of red at the 'rear'. If he sees red, it's flying away and green means it's approaching. Green/red is the right hand view and red/green is the left (I think - I could have got that backwards) Daithi2016-07-11 05:57:14
  • SawdustSawdust Club Members Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell! How about sticking with something more traditional and therefore less forgettable? Port is left and signified by red, starboard is right and signified by green. I would think 2 red on the left and 2 green on the right. Same principals as Daithi mentioned for discerning coming or going, much less confusing to work out which side is facing you though and more natural to both you and anyone else familiar with the old port and starboard light system.
  • mpjf01mpjf01 Club Members Posts: 1,008 ✭✭
    I put white lights on the front and red on the back, it's easy to remember because I drive a car. These at the front aren't bad

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__58321__Turnigy_High_Power_Headlight_System.html
    @Daithi "Johann - 'LOS' is 'Line of Sight' - not signal loss "

If I look at the page abbreviations.com, I can find this:

"LOS     

Loss Of Signal Computing » Telecom -- and more...

Rate it:"

And this is why I am programming failsafe correctly in case of having a LOS. image jstremmler2016-07-11 15:09:17
  • WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭
    Juergen ... in this context it is Line of sight. Read the very first sentence the OP wrote:

"I fly LOS...".

Now he is hardly likely to be flying Loss Of Signal now is he!

• Paul80Paul80 Club Members Posts: 161
    I use two super bright White LED's on the front and Two super bright Red LED's on the back

Green on one side and red on the other as in Ships navigation will only rise to confusion

So green left is facing me and green right or is it gowning away or is it the other way around ?

White its facing, red its going away is much simpler to remember in a panic
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Actually according to an acronym finder LOS in order is

Level of Service

Lines of Supply

Law of the Sea

Line of Sight

Loss of Signal comes down about number 6 in that list

It can also mean Linux Operating System or Late Onset Schizophrenia image

In this case it's definitely Line of Sight image
  • Paul80Paul80 Club Members Posts: 161
    Link of sausages image
    Load Of Sh1t.
    Finally we have the profound discussion I like so so much! image So finally let me make my profound contributions. I configure my Naze32 with the CLI command: set failsave_procedure = RTH. Next I configure Failsafe in Cleanflight to Throttle = Hold and the Aux Channel for the flight modes to pulses which initiate RTH flight mode in case of a signal loss. When I now fly LOS (loss of signal) and my multicopter looses its RC signal my Copter safely returns to home and lands. And believe me, I don't need LEDs for that....jstremmler2016-07-12 12:32:38
    Whoopee bloody do ... And that comes under the 'FOS' heading in the context of the original post. image
  • jkosmidesjkosmides Club Members Posts: 10
    Was referring to Law of the Sea. I fly off my boat over the ocean. :) image
    Lot Of Seaweed when it takes to submerging? Heh heh!
  • Chainsaw UrnutsChainsaw Urnuts Club Members Posts: 9
    I tried the port starboard setup and found it hard. Front and back work much better.

Spedix is great with green/red LEDs under each motor and then use same colour props.

One directional light facing out front can help too, esp when learning. Good at dusk too as it shows where you are on the field, just don't make it too bright or it just blinds you.Chainsaw Urnuts2016-08-04 04:50:52
  • SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    I suppose if the end LED on each strip was curled around the corner at 90 deg. that would give an indication of direction when flying side on - or can the front & rear LEDs be seen from that angle anyway.

I am about to plaster a few over my old quad so I can become more adventurous.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file