Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KK2.1 HC Quadcopter unable to take off

Newbie89Newbie89 Club Members Posts: 11
Hi all,

recently i have just constructed my own quadcopter using the following parts purchased from hobbyking:

Flight controller: HobbyKing KK2.1HC Multi-Rotor Hard Case Flight Control Board With Remote Programmer

Motor: 4 x Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV Brushless Outrunner Motor

ESC: 4 x Hobbywing X-Rotor ESC - 40amp (OPTO)

Lipo Battery: Multistar High Capacity 3S 4000mAh Multi-Rotor Lipo Pack

Tx/Rx: Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch Receiver (Mode 2) (v2 Firmware)

Frame: S500 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame with PDB 480mm

Power distribution board: Turnigy Multi Rotor Power Distribution Board

Propellers: Hobbykingâ„¢ Propeller 10x4.5 Black (CW/CCW) (4pcs)

But was unable to lift it off the ground. Yes I did carried out the ESC calibration which is

- Props off

- Turn FC (Flight Controller) “Off�
- Tx “On�
- Throttle to “Max�
- Press down buttons 1 & 4.

- Keep pressing until last step

(Releasing the buttons early will abort calibration)

- Turn “On�FC

- Wait for the ESC’s to beep its full throttle calibrated signal

(Takes a few seconds)

- Lower throttle to Idle

(Wait for the throttle idle calibrated signal)

- Release button 1 & 4

I'm pretty sure I did the above steps correctly by verifying that all 4 x motors spin simultaneously upon throttle up.

I also carried out the receiver test (found that rudder and elevator are inverted, so corrected them using the Tx), Sensor test (All ok), ACC calibration was carried out, motor layout set to X configuration.

Lastly I did make sure that all the motors are actually spinning in the right direction (according to the motor layout); motor 1 (front left) turns CW, motor 2 (front right) turns CCW, motor 3 (rear right) turns CW and motor 4 (rear left) turns CCW. The motors that are initially spinning at the incorrect direction are corrected by having any of the 2 motor wire (motor has 3 wire: red, black and yellow) swapped position (Learnt that from a youtube tutorial). The appropriate propellers are also carefully installed on the right motors; CW propeller to CW motor and CCW propeller to CCW motor.

Observation: Upon throttle up, quadcopter wasn't vibrating too much (seems stable) but surpass the 40 or 50% throttle (approx), the quadcopter tends to flip to one side (it seems that one side tends to have greater lift then another, If I do remember correctly, it was the front arms that have greater lift as compared to the rear arms).

FYI, I do not have the AUX channel of the KK2.1 HC connected to the channel 5 of the Rx as the slot is taken up by a power cable (5V) used for powering the flight controller from the power distribution board. Reason is because I have actually mistakenly purchased an OPTO ESC instead of an ESC with BEC. BEC comes with additional power (red) wire which can power up the flight controller at M1, since OPTO does not has the additional red wire, my only solution is only to power up the board using the reciever channel (AUX channel).

The test flight was carried out in my living room and I have read about how ground effect can affect the stability of the quadcopter such as if the room is not big enough you are creating your own turbulance which is coming back to your copter and making it unstable. Not sure if that is the problem (I doubt so), have not tested it out in an open field tho.

The following attached is the photo of my quadcopter (Blue arms are the front arms, white arms are the rear arms). Hope the gurus out there can help to solve my issue image

Comments

• Newbie89Newbie89 Club Members Posts: 11
    The following is the raw footage of the quadcopter flipping:

• WTWUKWTWUK ✭✭✭ CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭
    You have incorrect wiring or/and motors/props rotating the wrong way.

You MUST be 100% positive about the setup. 'Pretty sure' often results in the flip you are experiencing.

You do not have to use rx chan5 to get power to the FC - you can use chan6, 7 or 8.

Chan5 is needed for changing the KK into its flight modes.
  • dart16dart16 Club Members Posts: 77
    Make sure you have mounted the flight controller pointing in the right direction.

Take the props and the prop nuts off, DO NOT try this with the props on!!!

Switch everything on, after it has finished calibrating throttle up to 1/4 throttle, watch and listen to the two rear motors while lifting the front of the quad up, you are looking for the rear motors to speed up - both of them. Put the front of the quad down and then raise the left side while watching the right side motors, they should both speed up. If, during either test only one of the motors behaves correctly you have not got the correct ESC connected to the right ports on the Flight controller, if neither motor speeds up you have the gyro sense wrong. When you have the gyro outputs correct you will need to check the stick inputs drive the correct motors using the same procedure i.e. left stick causes the two right motors to speed up etc. If any of those responses are wrong you need to swap the relevant channels between RX and flight controller.

This would have been easier had you bought a flight controller that cleanflight or librepilot, et al. supported   image
    The KK is mounted the right way. Programming cable exiting to the rear.

On the KK one uses the Receiver Test screen to check TX inputs. NOT by doing as you say. The initial setup between TX, RX and KK MUST be correct. ONLY then will it fly. It takes two minutes to do.

• Newbie89Newbie89 Club Members Posts: 11
    Someone commended that "With no flight mode control input to the AUX port on the KK, most likely you are flying in full MANUAL, which means YOU MUST USE ELEVATOR AND AILERON to control the aircraft."

Link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2679887

I am working the other way round, powering up the KK board by connecting the power cable from the power distribution board (5v) to the BATT input of the Rx, the Rx would then power up the KK board. This way allows the AUX channel on the kk board to be free. I would try to get the Auto level set up and hopefully get the quadcopter taking off soon.Newbie892016-06-09 23:35:27
    You really do need to setup KK's with autolevel off. Doing otherwise will just mask issues.
  • SootySooty ✭✭✭ Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    Also the ESC calibration using buttons 1 - 4 hasn't worked properly since the 2.1.1 version of firmware.

Calibrate them individually - that is one at a time.

If you miss just one of the setup steps on the instructions then it most likely won't work properly. Go through it step by step.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file