Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Connecting the receiver to the flight controller

foresterdroneforesterdrone Club Members Posts: 16
Hi,

I currently have the KK 2.1.5 flight controller and this receiver:

I also had some spare servo leads from my previous projects, however, they are male to female:

So my question is, I can't use female to male servo connectors right? Do they need to be male to male connectors: kind of like this http://www.*******.com/deep-deal-10cm-Servo-Extension-Cable/dp/B00BL0YGS0?ie=UTF8&keywords=servo leads&qid=1465336584&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Comments

• SawdustSawdust Club Members Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭
    What about looking right under your nose. I think you'll find ones suit somewhere amongst all these HERE or HERE or HERE or HERE or if you need heavy duty there's HERE or HERE or even HERE. That should give you plenty of choice to suit most situations.
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Just be careful of one thing. HK refers to 'male' connectors (the ones with the pins) as 'female' and vice versa
  • CAMMERCAMMER Club Members Posts: 507

Is this a "gender bender" type of thing? image
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Only if you manage to splay the pins image
  • foresterdroneforesterdrone Club Members Posts: 16
    Okay guys thank you, I ended up buying these male connectors from ******* for a faster shipping:

https://www.*******.com/gp/product/B00WB9BH82/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, I have a question about the BEC. I know each BEC produces a voltage of about 5v. The KK 2.1.5 only needs 5v to be powered, so do I still plug in all 4 BECs into the output pins of the KK? I have seen that most people just connect all 4 wires to their respective pins but I don't know how does the KK manages the voltage?
  • jstremmlerjstremmler Germany&U.S.A.Club Members Posts: 436
    "Also, I have a question about the BEC. I know each BEC produces a voltage of about 5v. The KK 2.1.5 only needs 5v to be powered, so do I still plug in all 4 BECs into the output pins of the KK? I have seen that most people just connect all 4 wires to their respective pins but I don't know how does the KK manages the voltage?"

-there are BEC with lots of different ouput voltages on the market, not only 5V BEC's

- but almost all ESC's with a BEC on board have an output voltage of 5V

- if you have ESCs with linear BECs then you can connect all ESC's to the KK2.1.5 FC, otherwise RTFM and connect only the one for M1
  • foresterdroneforesterdrone Club Members Posts: 16
    I bought http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15202__Hobby_King_20A_ESC_3A_UBEC.html

How do I know whether my BECs are linear or not?
  • Clark06000Clark06000 Antibes, FranceClub Members Posts: 851 ✭✭
    On these low amps Escs, internal becs are linear most of the time... and named UBEC or simply BEC, meaning analog and limited to 3S lipos and 3 to 4 analog servos (maybe less), or they heat and die because delivering too much current at 5 volts (dissipated power= (12v-5v)x 3amps = 20watts is lethal)!

Only Escs after 30-40 amps capability (not all), they are specified "SBEC", meaning switching mode and can be used with up to 6s lipos and some over.
  • dart16dart16 Club Members Posts: 77
    BEC's?? how many did you buy? for most normal applications you only *need* one BEC, just like you only need one battery (the Battery Eliminator Circuit takes the place of the battery to power the Rx and servos/flight controller) Most people use ESC's that have a BEC built in, and in that case you only *need* connect one 3 wire lead with the red wire connected, the other ESC's can have their red wire cut or the pin removed from the socket and taped up. forget about linear or switched BEC's for the time being..it just complicates the issue. jstremmler isn't wrong, it's just more technical than you need just now.

some people prefer to use ESC's that do not have a BEC built in and they would need to buy a standalone BEC, such as the one you linked in your post. If you intend to use the stand alone BEC then cut the red wires on all your ESC's as you only want one 5 volt source. I was looking for a pic to show you but the best I could find was this

Oh, and to answer your question the BEC you linked is most probably a linear regulator, the switched regulators can normally handle 6s batteries

Sorry clark..simultaneous postsdart162016-06-09 00:36:42
  • WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭
    The BEC on thise ESC's is linear. Connect them up as they are. No need to remove red wire. In addition, if you have power on and of the KK M2 connection upwards, you can then run things like servo operate pan/tilt mounts for cameras.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file