New DIY Quadcopter Help Please

Cleach12kCleach12k Club Members Posts: 3
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

I am new to multirotors and don't want to go through the trial and error process that I usually go through at the expense of my wallet. Trial & error is great for learning, but not on a medical student budget!

I would like a pretty basic quadcopter for line of sight flying, durability, & stability/ease of flying. For my first quadcopter, I'm not wanting the fastest or most maneuverable, etc. Any suggestions or advice or tips will be EXTREMELY appreciated!

So far, I have only purchased a frame: Hobby King FPV250L Long Frame (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=56212)

The following are items I have thought, from my limited knowledge, seem to be a good fit:

-Flight Controller: KK2.1HC

-Motor: LDPOWER M2204-2300kV

-ESC: Afro 12A UltraLite V3 w/SimonK

-Propeller: Carbon Fiber 10x4.7

Question about Transmitter & Receiver:

I have a generic 2.4G transmitter from a Syma X5. Will this work with any of the flight controllers? Is it possible to sync a transmitter to the fight controller without needing to purchase a new transmitter and receiver?

I'm obviously new to this, but I pick things up very quickly so a little advice can take me a long way. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭
    No. The TX you have will not be of any use for your new copter. A transmitter needs to be 'bound' to a receiver that is specifically matched to the type of RF protocol that transmitter uses.

Even though a lot of transmitters use 2.Ghz frequency, they use different protocols within that frequency, so most are not compatible with other brands, and, as your KK has no receiver in it, it cannot be 'bound' to any transmitter.

• Cleach12kCleach12k Club Members Posts: 3
    Thank you. I kinda figured, but was hoping for a longshot for my budget.
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    You can actually pick up an X5c receiver for a few dollars on fleabay
  • Cleach12kCleach12k Club Members Posts: 3
    Any suggestions for FC, Motor, ESCs, & propellers for beginner & user-friendly stable flights with use on a FPV250L quadcopter frame?
  • WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭
    The list you had above would be fine, apart from the props. You would need 5x4 OR 6X4 maximum for that frame.

For a FC, I would err on the CC3D Atom, and flash it with CleanFlight firmware.

However, 'stable' flight is not really an option with a 250 class copter. By their very nature they are highly manoeuverable and very quick, as they are intended primarily for FPV racing and will always be needing control inputs.

You could go all out and fit one up with a FC that can use GPS etc. for making it 'automatic', but that removes all the fun!

If you want 'stable' you would be better advised to opt for a 450 class copter such as the F450 (DJI Flamewheel clone)

With that you can use a wide variety of motors around the 900 to 1000KV, 10X4 props and pretty much any flight controller you wish.

A good beginner FC is the CC3D Revo, or at the top end of the range a Pixhawk.

Nevertheless, 250's are great fun though, that's for sure!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file