Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cessna 182

MWieserMWieser Club Members Posts: 17
Hi guys,

I've mounted floats on the cessna. Now it has a weight of around 1800 grams (incl. lipo). The installed motor is a bit weak for that weight and so it takes hardly of the water and if so it has a strong will to stall.

So I want to install a stronger motor but I am quit unsure which is the best one.

Could you guys give me an advise about the right hobbyking motor (and prop size)?

Thank you for your support!

Regards

Markus

Comments

• AJC ChopperAJC Chopper Port AdelaideClub Members Posts: 50
    Go to the HK home page and scroll down to the very bottom. Under Resources click on Electric Flight Basics. This will give you a guide to start the quest in this very addictive hobby.
  • SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    Find the specs written on your motor and post the details and we can help you find something.

The only thing that is known according to the product page is the kva rating. Also needed is the diameter and length of the motor.

If that was a balsa model I had scratch-built I would probably put a 40 size glow motor in it with power to spare.

Based on that assumption plus the stated weight of your plane one of the G46 easy match electric motors would probably do the job for you.

I use that size on most of my sport flyers.

You need compare the weight of your existing motor to ensure you don't end up too nose heavy .
  • MWieserMWieser Club Members Posts: 17
    Hi Sooty,

the current motor is named ct3511-760kv with an 30A esc and a diameter of 36 mm,total lenght of 55 mm and a length of the can of 33 mm. I guess its weight is about 100 grams (but I didn't weigh it since it is still installed).

Currently I think about using: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8488

What do you think?

Thanks a lot for your support!

Regards

Markus

This appears to be your current motor: HobbyKing Donkey ST3511-810kv

Go to the product page and you will find the vital statistics for this motor which you can then enter into the motor finder or use to find something that suits your needs.

You will also find that the motors are catalogued by their Dia. size (35mm) which you can use as a starting point. This way you can ensure the motor will fit the space.

There seem to be plenty of NTM Prop Drive motors to choose from but if you go for one of those ensure you oil the bearings well before installation and re-oil every 6 or so flights.
  • MWieserMWieser Club Members Posts: 17
    Thank you!
  • airwaveairwave Club Members Posts: 3,563
    IF you go with the NTM do take care of the bearings,or replace them with better ones.the ones i did as sooty suggest have been fine. others i did not crap out fast.
    Forgot to add that you should look for a lower kv rating and a higher voltage on a similar size/weight motor to boost power output. Look for one that can take 5s or 6s Lipo for a lot more punch. You will need to upgrade you ESC though. Look for max current rating of motor and go 30% above that for safety.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file