T28 Funfighter Help Please!

revolverrevolver Club Members Posts: 98
Hi everyone!

Crashed my funfighter on it's maiden flight unfortunately. Think I may have had a runaway aileron servo spin me in!

Beat it up pretty badly but managed to get it all back together with Hot Glue and tape. Hooray for Hot Glue!

However I broke the motor mount and haven't been able to find a replacement. I have manage to do a quick repair on it but I want to check the angles of my motor before I set off again.

I know it should be quite markedly offset to the right but I need to know how level it should be? Pointing down a little also or not? etc, etc...

If anyone has one could you possibly take a pic or two of the nose from top down and side on for me???

Please? Pretty Please??

Thank you!!

Comments

• DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Usually offset is 3 degrees down and right but you should be able to see the marks (or grooves) where the original was. To home brew a replacement, go to Peats (or similar) and get an offcut of fibreglass pc board for the motor mount and cut a new one with a fretsaw using the old one as a template
  • revolverrevolver Club Members Posts: 98
    Great idea Daithi! Thanks. Poor old Peats though. Long gone at this stage. Maplins it will have to be sadly....

My motor is certainly more right than down but I'm sure that is the way it was when I got it and it flew perfectly for the first few minutes of it's life! I'd guess it's 5 degrees right and maybe 2 or 3 down.

The mount broke where it meets the two longer mount arms. I've put it back in place and hot glued it there and it ain't coming out anytime soon. Will try a flight with it sitting as is and see how I get on. Your pc board idea is great though and I think I'll do that next chance I get.
    Maplin's won't do offcuts (and charge an arm and a leg). Try ebay for offcuts (you ain't going to use it for anything electrical so odd shaped bits are fine so long as they're bigger than the size you need to cut)
    Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well there.

I remember my motor being a good few degrees right before the crash, which is more or less the way it is now I think. But I don't remember it being downwards also. Certainly not to the degree that it is now.
    Few pics:

I'm having a nice chat with myself here on this thread I think!

Just thought I'd mention that I flew the funfighter again today and it flew fine. A bit of a breeze blowing so i didn't quite to see how it tracks through the air properly but it certainly seems fine to me for the moment!

Landed and went to swap batteries only to find I brought the discharged ones with me. image
    I bet that flattened your enjoyment image
  • WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,610 ✭✭✭
    Hhahaha!!! Now when was it I did that flat battery trick? Oh yeah - yesterday! lol!!! Certainly took the spark of enjoyment out of the evening for a bit. Lucky I am only a couple hundred yards from my relief flying field! lol
    Yes Daithi you could say that!!!

Beautiful day for flying, walked for yonks across a heap of football fields to get to the quiet end of the park, then got 4 minutes of flying and had to walk all the feckin way back!! Arrgghh! image

Anyway, nice to have the bird flying again.

One aileron servo seemed a bit sluggish when I unboxed the plane and it seems it may have stuck fully up and caused the crash in the first place. Replaced both ailerons with HXT900's now hopefully I'll see an improved response from them next time.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file