The traveling bird

bswiat1218bswiat1218 Club Members Posts: 1
Hello everyone! So basically I have an idea for a plane that i would like to travel 250 miles continuously without a refuel/recharge, but out of the multiple problems that would come with i feel the biggest one would be keeping it on course when its out of range. I was thinking that instead of relying on a signal that would need to travel the distance, why not use some sort of autopilot that uses a gps waypoint to make it self reliant until it came into range for some one to land it. Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    I think before you try anything like that you should check the FAA regulations.
  • SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    Google - Cruise Missile image
  • __Evan__Evan Club Members Posts: 1,122
    Any Ardupilot-based system will happily control the plane at that range. Just get a big gas-powered plane, add more fuel tanks, and set the failsafes correctly.

As Daithi has said, however, check the FAA regulations. As far as I know, this is illegal in the USA (and in most other places too). As Sooty has said, this would essentially be a cruise missile - if you get caught, there'll be plenty of people (and media outlets) calling for you to be treated as a potential terrorist. Even if it was legal, if it crashes for any reason (RC stuff doesn't meet the same reliability standards that general aviation hardware does) then it'll do a lot of damage, and you won't be covered under any sort of insurance. How do you feel about paying for someone's medical bills for the rest of your life, or spending $40K repairing their shiny new Mercedes?
  • WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭
    Better still ... Keep it to the 'idea' stage. Absolutely a megga NO-NO for it to be legal to fly such a machine in pretty much any country on the planet.

Do that in the US, and you can guarantee some men in suits would be knocking on your door. Well, probably blowing your door off its hinges and piling in with big guns ....

Also I suspect you would be the cause of some serious action taken at the time of the flight when your 'idea' flies through restricted airspace, probably military, and sets off a chain of events involving F-16 fighters and the like being scrambled ...

• LusbyLusby Club Members Posts: 30
    Hey why not get an Apollo 5 UAV, 320 inch wingspan. 30 hours endurance, cruise speed 120km/h. Lots of autopilot systems out there that can do waypoint missions. You would require the appropriate UAV operators license, certification for the aircraft, and submit flight plans....oh, and plenty of $$$$ + I dont think waypoint missions are allowed at all, so control range would be the limit. Keep us posted with how you get on image
  • WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭
    There's always the option of giving Edwards Air Force Base a ring ... they have some gash bits and pieces hanging around doing nothing ...

WTWUK2015-04-16 23:06:57

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file