Which plane should I get?

Bmurry226Bmurry226 Club Members Posts: 16
Hello, so that you have some background, my rc flight experience is on a nitro trainer and hours upon hours on a simulator.

I'm looking for a plane that can do both 3d and some high performance (fast) aerobatics. I'm not opposed to foamies and remember this will be my first time flying the maneuvers in real life.

Comments

• SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    HobbyKing® ™ MX2 3D EPP 955mm ARF
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Plus a supply of tape and glue. Unlike simulators, when one of those hits the ground you can't just reset it image
  • Bmurry226Bmurry226 Club Members Posts: 16
    Do you know how the MX2 compares to the Yak 55? I've read in some places that the Yak is a lot better but in others it's just the opposite. Also, other suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thank you
    They both fly depending upon the ability of the nut on the end of the sticks.

They both crash for the same reason.

The EPP MX2 is much cheaper to crash.

The MX2 is more likely to survive a crash and is very good for repeated practising wingtip cartwheels along the ground or a tail slide into the ground - whereas the YAK will need extensive repairs after each cartwheel or tail slide.
    LOL! Nice. 2 points for the MX2! Considering my initial requirements (3d and quick) any recommendations on setup? I have a Futaba 7C controller and a R616FFM receiver. Other than that, I have nothing (first electric plane). Bmurry2262015-04-03 07:55:06
    Mine flys well with the items recommended on the product page.
  • SawdustSawdust Club Members Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭
    " my initial requirements (3d and quick) "

As far as I'm concerned those 2 requirements are to a fair degree opposite to each other. For 3D you want light, large control surfaces, big control throws and a motor and prop combo that gives lots of thrust with a largish low pitched prop and an airframe that's not necessarily very slippery.

For fast you need almost everything completely opposite. You don't want huge control surfaces and certainly not huge throws, you do want a powerful high kv motor and smaller high pitched prop. You want a very sleek airframe that will probably be best with a highish wing loading because you want minimum surface area and big power which also means bigger speed controller and battery as well.

You can compromise of course but it's never going to be ideal for either one type of flying. You can have very fast, and you can have fantastic 3D capability, but not all in one model.
    I understand. Maybe I should be more clear on my version of quick. I'm not looking for rare bear (looks awesome!) or EDF fast. I've just seen some foamies out there that no matter the throttle, they're just plain slow. I realize that's by design but I want something more like the multiplex stuntmaster or parkmaster. They seem fairly quick but are able to perform 3d maneuvers fairly well. But that's just from me looking around. I was hoping to get some insight from people who fly these types of planes. I don't get to buy a plane very often (this will be my 3rd in 13 years) so I want to do my research.
  • SawdustSawdust Club Members Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭
    Going by that, I'd think the MX2 Sooty mentioned sounds like a good choice.

"I don't get to buy a plane very often (this will be my 3rd in 13 years) so I want to do my research. "

Bloody hell! You're better than me by a long way then. No way I could keep flying for 13 years with only 3 planes. That's damned good going compared to my flying time to crash ratio

image .Sawdust2015-04-03 11:40:36
    My .40 trainer can only do so much. Not really a whole lot of trouble to get into though I crashed the first one and bought one just like it. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into the MX2.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file