Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building a glider from a dead hawk?

highfly420highfly420 Long BeachClub Members Posts: 17
Hello,

I have recently aquired two dead hawks, both found dead on the roadside. One is completely intact minus the head and the other i just have the wings. I was able to pin the wings full span before it dried up.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried to turn a bird into a rc glider and if so what problems they found if any. I cant find any info on the net of the subject. Just puttin it out there

Thanks

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭
    Could be done - but might be a tad smelly after a while! lol!!!

In all seriousness, preserving and preparing the carcass would be the major problem. The mechanics of it could be relatively simple what with micro servos and rx's etc.
  • SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    There is a dead cat multirotor so why not a dead bird?

Anyway Hobby King have already done it:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__69343__Eagle_EPP_Slow_Flyer_1430mm_w_Motor_KIT_EU_Warehouse_.html
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    You'd need to make sure it didn't have any illness before it died otherwise it would be ill eagle
  • Clark06000Clark06000 Antibes, FranceClub Members Posts: 851 ✭✭
    What a weird idea? image
  • SawdustSawdust Club Members Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭
    Daithi:

"ill eagle"

Groan image image .

Now that's what I call a 'sick' joke image image .Sawdust2015-01-08 17:49:30
    I would call it a criminal joke! I would expect to see him up before the 'beak'!!!

Groaaaaaannnnnnn!!!! heh heh!!!!
  • CAMMERCAMMER Club Members Posts: 507

Has every-one gone 'raven' mad?? image
    It's a bird-brained idea anyway image
    Well that is 'stooping' a bit low ... you might have ruffled highfly420's feathers a bit there ... lol!!!
    Well so long as it ain't a Cornish seagullimage
    No need to bring RAF Eagles into it either - considering they are now on the 'endangered species' list!!! ... lol!!!

'puckyehawk' lmao!!!

However, the description by the poster on UD is absolutely correct. Many a time over St. Ives have those grey and white buggers stolen oggies and 99's with clotted cream on 'um right out of my hands! Wouldn't mind, but having paid 'emmets' prices for said oggy and ice cream (about £7 quid in the summer when the prices are high to rip off the holidaymakers and local alike, but only £4 in the winter as the business is Business Rates free and the owners can keep more of their money - if the shop is actually open that is) it can get a tad expensive!
    Yeah - that one on our shoulders never looked where it was going (but was very interested in where it had been)
    "An Eagle Sinister and Dexter" for sleeves, "An Eagle Volant and Affronte" for the cap badge.

I have nooo idea why they decided the sh!tehawks 'looked' rearwards though. Wonder if the RNAS had them the other way?

Edit: off topic but Air Force related, but I just heard on the news that the USAF are to pull out of Mildenhall, Alconbury and Molesworth. Are the USAF shortly to be put on the 'endangered species' list as well???

What a disaster for those communities ...WTWUK2015-01-09 06:52:34
    It could come to the stage where the mob has more airfields than aircraft.

By the way, the grey funnel line always insisted that it was an albatrossDaithi2015-01-09 07:30:42
  • highfly420highfly420 Long BeachClub Members Posts: 17
    Hello Sooty, Im talking about feathers not foam. however i appreciate your input. highfly4202015-01-10 04:13:59
  • airwaveairwave Club Members Posts: 3,563
    highfly420, i would say you need to check with your DNR/game warden.

here were I'm at you can't have any part of a "birds of prey" road kill or not.a bud of mine had stopped and was going to get the feet off a dead hawk,just so happen a passing warden let him know.could of cost him ~$5000

here. image
  • SawdustSawdust Club Members Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭
    Very good point airwave image . They can't know for certain how you acquired the birds in the first place and will almost certainly treat the situation as you having killed them yourself. Heck, don't even mention that you've got them, just ask hypothetically, if I happened to come across ######, could I keep the remains for a project I have in mind? If the answer is no, just discreetly get rid of them.
    I think it is the same here in the UK - even roadkill carcasses if they are of a 'protected species' leaves one on dodgy ground if one happens to be subject to enquiry as to how the carcass was obtained.

Even legitimately 'stuffed' birds require a licence to buy or sell if on what is known as the 'Article 10' list.
    Looking into that airwave, thanks. Im having a hard time identifying the bird. ive narrowed it down to four in my location (SoCal), although one characteristic doesnt fit. the small feathers of the legs run the full length and go as far as to cover the tops of the feet. I will post some pics soonhighfly4202015-02-02 04:38:28
    On a more practical point, it's almost impossible to get a 'bird' to fly without a LOT of control systems. Remember that a bird controls flight by feather movement - it can indepedently alter attack angle of each wing, alter tail feathers in the same way plus alter their angle on each side to provide lateral control (no vertical fins). Even with all that taken into account, control would be very problematic
  • swervynswervyn Club Members Posts: 1,313
    i guess you could buy an rtf glider and glue dead bird feathers all over it, would create some serious aerodynamic issues i would imagine

looking forward to seeing some photos of this project!
  • airwaveairwave Club Members Posts: 3,563
    just thought i would ask,you could all ways turn it from hawk to an "OLD CROW", or you could all ways go for the angry bird look angry birdairwave2015-01-11 07:21:00
    lol airwave!

My daughters have one of these:

thats too funny..probably what its going to look like. I think WTWUK is right, preparing the carcus for the airframe and controls as Daithi pointed out are going to be the most challenging. i will be posting some plans soon. Im just looking to thermal it mabe some gentle slope. also researched the "legalities" of all this and for my region their are no threatened or endangered species of this kind. Moreover, i dont plan on drawing alot of attention, for the other birds in the area however, well thats gonna be inevitable. The wingspan will be twice the size of its kin (hence i have two sets of wings) witch i hope will prove some air spremency and intimidation... at least for awhile.   
    It could get some attention - some time ago they had a hawk kite connected to a helium balloon over the city hall to scare off the pigeons - it only worked for a while and in the end they just slung netting over the cupolas.

Seriously though you will have a lot of problems. You'll need to add bracing to prevent 'flop' in the body (fuselage) and also the wings to keep them open. The wing loading will be high and that can also cause problems
    have they tried those fake great horned owls?

Went to edit my post and it broke my images..pics here

been using the feather atlas to identify

Looks like a Great Grey Owl. but head did not match.highfly4202015-01-16 17:10:33
    Red Tailed Hawk maybe?

imageWTWUK2015-01-13 07:36:57
    Thanks WTWUK for getting my pics back up image im gonna have to say redtail as well, although its missing the predominate dark ban on the wing and tail tips. however these feathers match that of the great horned owls the best.

welp..moving on, airframe design next.

im gonna take a crack at wingerons or a "Variable-incidence wingtip". 6 of the outer primary feathers will use this control-if my 5 gr servos can handle it..may have to go bigger. will submit some plans on how i should design a rotating spar or spars (one inside another) highfly4202015-01-14 05:33:22
    I will go with the Hooter actually - looking at the feather structure and the pics of the feet I missed ... not the Red Tail for sure.

Anyways, whatever bird it is, keep the progress reports coming ... image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file