Setting up Tarot Zyx S2 with Turnigy 9x and HK-450

RoBo_GuyRoBo_Guy IndiaClub Members Posts: 20
Hi, I'm having problems setting the Tarot ZYX-S2 gyro up with HK-450TT Pro V2 FBL and Turnigy 9x (running on stock firmware). Non of the servos seem to be working right. I've already busted a cyclic servo trying to set it right! Can someone please tell me the right settings so that I can atleast get my bird off the ground!!?

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭
    First off, disconnect the servo to swash linkages by removing the servo arms from the servos. That will stop servos binding up and stripping gears, until you have set the servo type and they have settled at centre.

Ensure you have not got 120°swash mixing enabled in your TX. Only 90° can be used.

Then for a pretty good video, go HERE

It is for the normal S, but the basic setup for the S2 is the same.
  • RoBo_GuyRoBo_Guy IndiaClub Members Posts: 20
    Thnx WTWUK. I've already seen that video. Its a good one but it doesn't say how to set up the gyro using the PC software... and that is what I want to do!

By the way, the video tells you to choose swash plate type as one servo. In Turnigy 9x, is it 'Heli1'?(sorry noob here)

Ane is there another video showing the setup of the S2 using a PC.

Yes - I believe it is Heli1 in the 9X.

I am unaware of a video that gives a full setup demo, but several are there for the various stages.

I can help out with areas you get stuck with, but don't have time to describe every stage.

The software is pretty simple to follow as it has pictures and descriptiins for each stage.

And, believe it or not, for a beginner, the lowest 3D setting, combined with 40% expo on your TX is very stable.
    Well, I broke the stock main blades, stripped another servo and stripped the main gear.

And all I did was slowly increase the throttle to take off a few centimeters from the ground. But the moment the Heli took off, it rolled to the left and broke the above mentioned parts.

I think one or more cyclic servos are travelling in the wrong direction! Can you tell me the direction of movement of the swash plate (or individual servos) corresponding to stick commands, when the ZYX-S2 is setup correctly?
    Ooops!

Righty. First thing is to disconnect your motor when setting anything up. Saves any damage and pain.

Servos MUST move as follows:

Throttle stick up/down will see the all three cyclic servos move up and down respectively. That is the pitch aspect covered.

Looking from tail to nose, Left Aileron stick will see the left cyclic servo lower, and the right cyclic servo rise. The elevator servo must remain still. The reverse is true when giving Right Aileron stick.

Again, looking tail to nose, Elevator Up stick will see the left and right cyclic servos rise equally, and the rear elevator servo fall.

Down stick will see the two front cyclic servos fall and the rear elevator servo rise.

The way you can check it is correct is to move the ail/elev stick in full circular movement and the rotor head should follow in the same direction.

The important thing to get absolutely correct is the 'corrections' made by the gyro. Follow the instructions in the software and you should be fine.

A good idea to see it you have it right is if you tilt the heli in any direction, the swashplate will try to remain level to the ground if you follow. If you tilt the heli left and the swash also tilts left, you have it wrong.

Try all of this without the motor connected of course!!!
    Well my electronics is wired very tightly, so I was using throttle cut to prevent spool-up.... but obviously something went wrong!

Anyway, thanks to your last post WTWUK, I was finally able to program the ZYX-S2 correctly! image

After following all your instructions, I was able to get the swash plate to start responding correctly to all stick commands. image

However, you said that: "Again, looking tail to nose, Elevator Up stick will see the left and right cyclic servos rise equally, and the rear elevator servo fall. Down stick will see the two front cyclic servos fall and the rear elevator servo rise."

While searching online, I found a page which said that the elevator stick up, should make the rear elevator servo rise and vice-versa.

Here is a link to that page->

http://www.raptortechnique.com/tarot/setup-prg_box.html

See point no.- 12.

Also there is another problem now. When I increase the speed to lift the craft off the ground the main shaft (and so the rest of the heli) starts vibrating crazily from side to side. Is it because of some problem in the programming of the gyro or is something unbalanced?.... It shouldn't be the blades cause I balanced them perfectly using a balancer and a sticker on one of them. RoBo_Guy2014-05-10 19:13:33
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Look at it this way Guy - if all three servos move in the same direction, the angle of attack of the blades isn't going to alter, so nothing will happen. For rise or fall, the rear servo has to move in the opposite direction to the other two
  • SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    At the end of the day whether the swash rises or falls for up or down depends upon whether the ball-link connections are at front or rear of the blade holders. Either way is usually an option.
    It is a HK 450Pro V2 FBL - so it is leading links ... Up is up lol!!

But, the Flybarred version is a trailing link setup - and up is up on that too. image

Not many, if any, 'standard' T-Rexes lower the swash to increase pitch.
    Thanks for you replies... but I still have a problem. When ever I increase the throttle to make the heli take off, it rolls to the left (viewing from tail to nose) and the blades hit the ground. Have I got some settings for the gyro wrong?

And also can someone please send me the .conf file for HK-450TT PRO V2?
    Can I ask have you flown a heli before? If not, I think it would be very wise for you to attach some training gear to your heli to stop it tipping over whilst you get used to it.

Even if you have, it would just as valid to fit some now. I still do on every new build heli I do. Just in case!

As for the goinf left, check the last step in the software programming - the Piro correction.

Sounds like you have that reversed. Be aware that all of these helis have a tendency to move to the left on take-off, but it should be easily checked.

A conf file for one heli can often fail miserably (servos reversed, travels all over the place, sub-trims miles out etc.)on another, as no two are the same, so it is not a good idea at all to use another one than your own.

Also, with a flybarless heli the 'take off' procedure is a little different to a Flybarred one.

With a flybarless helicopter, if you try to use the cyclic controls when it is on the ground, all sorts of strange things can happen.

The way forward is to take a leap of faith and just 'pop' the heli up into the air to about waist height, and then take control with cyclic inputs.

I think it would be very wise for you to attach some training gear to your heli to stop it tipping over whilst you get used to it.
    WTWUK,

I've only flown quad-rotors before and this happens to be my very 1st heli!

I'll check the last step in the software but can u tell me where I can get the training gear or can I make one myself?
    Never mind....I found it on hk. But thanks for all the advice! image
  • SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭

This is the best way to protect your heli during the setup stages. Of course I trimmed off the ends of the dowels so they couldn't catch on anything.

I now use a hulahoop that is around half that diameter and it works just as effectively. I have never had a tip-over or a ground strike using this system and it skates around on a smooth concrete/asphalt surface like it was on ball bearings. Great for learning orientation.
  • breoganbreogan MadridClub Members Posts: 6
    Hello,

I have installed a ZYX-S2 gyroscope on 450, with 3 servos HS-65MG in swashplate and S9257 in tail.

When leaning forward (and stop movement), initially the compensation movement is OK, but then it still moving back to the last position, as show in the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3UOriwkIyk&feature=youtu.be

It seem that doesn't work AVCS (heading hold). It should maintain the position, and not move back. Not to return to normal position.

The tail rotor movement is good, that is, if I turn the helicopter, the servo remains so until the helicopter return to its previous position (heading hold).

How I could solve the issue?

Thank you.
    That is absolutely normal. Thete is no AVCS as such with the main rotor. You control it at all times. It will never be 'hands off'.
  • breoganbreogan MadridClub Members Posts: 6
    Hi WTWUK,

Thank you for your help !

I am a newbie in flybarless and do not know how the main rotor should work.
    No problem. Just be VERY careful to be 100% positive you get the PIRO optimisation correct. If not, you will end up with a seriously damaged helicopter!

In addition, when you have got everything right, on your first take-off, do your utmost to NOT touch the aileron/elevator stick - just 'pop' the heli up off the ground and then control any wandering.

If you input aileron or elevator when on the ground, the heli will tip and tilt like crazy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file