Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Four button Battery Chargers...

KeethKeeth KickatinalongClub Members Posts: 901
A few years ago when the new batteries started appearing (Lipo etc) I was offered a new battery charger at the LHS that was told could charge everything. It was over $200 so not knowing any better I got one. After a couple of months it started playing up. It would come up with a single row of small squares right across the LCD screen. I searched for causes but came up blank. I dropped of RC for a couple years and when I came back found I could get similar chargers for $50 and less. I got one and have used it ever since.

Then today I was having a clean up and found the old charger in its box. I got it out and powered it up and sure enough the row of small squares still there and nothing working. I salvaged all the leads and things and was ready to put it in the rubbish. It has anti-opening screws that are a sort of hex type but a pin in the middle. On the way to the bin I passed the fridge and seeing as it is in the mid thirties I thought lets stick it in the freezer. I did this for five minutes and you've guessed it... it worked. So all this time it looks like it had a touchy temp setting and just needed cooling before using. Even though it was way overpriced it is a solid unit, full cast aluminum and even a cooling fan. (That is not very effective)

So next time any of your electronics starts misbehaving stick it in the freezer for a few minutes....

Comments

• coptorcoptor Club Members Posts: 1,029
    If a charger is that old, you might not wanna be using it because of possible outdated charging firmware.

Very dangerous.
  • KeethKeeth KickatinalongClub Members Posts: 901
    It's the same firmware as is in my latest one. It's the 'MAX E6' which I could find no info on. I think it was before the numerous B6 models that came out. It has the separate balance board that plugs into unit. Would have got it at least five years ago...
  • kev.keenekev.keene NorthernOntarioClub Members Posts: 705
    Some of the guys at the place I used to work at would do that with seemingly dead hard drives, put em in the freezer for a few hours, throw it back in the computer, and about half the time, you could rescue the data before it failed again...
  • WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,427 ✭✭✭
    Some of the guys at the place I used to work at would do that with seemingly dead hard drives, put em in the freezer for a few hours, throw it back in the computer, and about half the time, you could rescue the data before it failed again...

Did that very trick on a Western Digital 320gb drive about three months ago. Froze the swine overnight, ran it up, pulled the data off it just in time before it warmed up again and shuffled off to HD heaven again. Best place for it as it goes ... Lol!!!

• ArceenutArceenut Club Members Posts: 3

Take the HD apart and rescue the pick up drive magnets. Very strong . May find many uses for them such as picking up dropped screws in the grass at the field.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file