Bending EPO back into shape

BenGeeBenGee Club Members Posts: 346
It's a well known fact that EPO can deform if it's left in a hot or humid environment. My car boot can attest to this.

What is the best method to re-form the EPO?

Should you run the affected part under a hot tap?

Will a hot air gun (like a hair dryer) do the job?

Will the re-formed part be any weaker for the experience?

Any and every answer will be well appreciated.

Comments

• DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Never use a hot air gun (it gets too hot and will deform or even melt the foam).

Check this youtube video for a 'how to'
  • BenGeeBenGee Club Members Posts: 346
    Many thanks Daithi, I'll pass the link on to someone who needs it, along with your advice.
  • coptorcoptor Club Members Posts: 1,029
    You can use a hot air gun PROVIDED it has a low temp option under 60'celsius.

I use a 'skil' branded gun it has that option.

Other than that, if you have none, then hot water is your alternative choice.
  • MaximilionalphaMaximilionalpha 17044Club Members Posts: 590 ✭✭
    Here's my Phoenix 2000 glider, flight and wing repair. Video is kind of long, but worth the watch. Go to the 28 minute mark to speed things along.

[TUBE]
  • KaosKaneKaosKane Club Members Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭
    i wrap a towell around the bent part and pour near boiling water on to it then after a few seconds u can straighten the epo with ur fingers until the correct shapr is reachecd and then pour cold water on it to set. my jettiger was almost a write off but by wedging it into aproximate shape with 6 house bricks i was able to pour hot water on it wait then pour cold water on it and it was set in the shape the bricks held it in.. i then did the hot towel bit to get it straigher HTH
  • BenGeeBenGee Club Members Posts: 346
    Daithi - I just read my response to your post, and realised it could well be read the wrong way...... I genuinely do have someone who asked me about it, and no sarcasm was intended in my response.
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    I took it exactly as you said - that you knew someone who needed the info
  • FusionTigerFusionTiger Club Members Posts: 476
    I used a garment steamer, works very well and gives me more control. The ultra heated steam can reach areas which other methods couldn't. Ive tried dipping my damaged EPO foam into hot water inorder to reach into tight areas and it gets over-expanded, this does not happen with ultraheated steam!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file