Gyros for airplanes - rudder

nugpotnugpot Club Members Posts: 3
Does anyone know where there is information on setting up a gyro to make taildragger airplane takeoffs less hairy? Specifically I have an HK 410B gyro I would like to use but what is "Delay" and "Limit",I've never heard of these terms. Are these alternate names for gain and sensitivity? Which is which? Does the yellow wire go into the gear channel? I've been thru the Gyros sub forum of helicopters and the only thing I got out of it was a lot of disappointment and dissatisfaction with these gyros.

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭
    Short answer is Delay = the speed the servo 'reacts' to any motion change. It stops the gyro 'under or over correcting' with any given servo in simple terms. For digital dervo's it is always set to zero as they react quickly enough so as not to get confused. For analogue servos it is set mainly by trial and error and the aim is for the servo to 'stop' correcting when any unwanted motion has been corrected by the gyro.

Limit defines how far the gyro will make the servo travel. That is set to your own preference - in a fixed wing rudder for instance, if you only wish for a small gyro input, you set the limits small. This is totally independent of your transmitter limits.

When setting a gyro for a fixed wing model, make sure you only use the 'rate' setting, as the 'heading hold' will cause all sort of problems!WTWUK2012-07-21 18:05:54

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file