Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bixler almost not turning left

KrimbuKrimbu Club Members Posts: 61
Hi All,

What could be the reason for Bixler almost not turning left using ailerons?

Turning right is ok.

I mean that doing a circle on left takes ages while on right it is normal

When i test the ailerons on the ground, they seem to be very symmetric .

thx

Karim

Comments

• snappysnappy ✭✭ IrelandClub Members Posts: 3,289 ✭✭
    Does it fly straight and level with all control surfaces centralised?
  • KrimbuKrimbu Club Members Posts: 61
    To be honest, i'm not sure since i didn't fly it for a long time until yesterday where the field was rather small and i didn't have the chance to try straight lines...

What if yes?

And what if no? :)
    If Yes I give one answer if no I give another :-) go fly
    Not sure I will be able to do a test today... if not, i might answer inly next friday...
  • SootySooty ✭✭✭ Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of pilot entry in faults book:

"Nose wheel tyre almost worn out"

Maintenance Chief's comment: "Nose wheel tyre almost replaced." image
    Ok. I did a test flight.

It does go straight when all tx sticks are in central position.

So what could it be?Krimbu2012-05-20 06:05:53
    not the sticks the control surfaces
    oops, sorry for being such a noob :-)

English is not my first language (it's actually the 4th).

Before every flight, I check that all control surfaces are actually straight.

So the answer is again yes, the plane flies straight when surfaces are in central position.
  • SootySooty ✭✭✭ Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like more aileron travel needed to overcome the torque resistance of the prop. Most single prop models turn better one way than the other due to this.

I think you, being a newbie, have set the movement up a bit too conservatively. The wingtip dihedral doesn't help for rapid turning either. The plane is designed to be inherently stable. image
    Hi Sooty,

Actually, it wasn't always like this. I don't recall such problem when I tried it the first times.

I did have to replace the stock propeller as it got broken when I hit a tree.

The new prop installed is the APC 6X4E which many recommend AFAIK. Is it possible that it's this prop that is causing the problem?

In addition, if I understood you correctly, the current setting of clevis/control horns is too docile in the ailerons. Can this setting be modified on the Bixler RTF?
    That's funny "My plane was flying ok untill I hit a tree now it won't turn

left"

May be it afffraid of the trees!

Seriously its likely to be a bent fuselage but you say it flies straight.

Try and get an experienced flyer to have a look at it
  • KaosKaneKaosKane ✭✭✭ Club Members Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭
    That's funny "My plane was flying ok untill I hit a tree now it won't turn

left"

May be it afffraid of the trees!

Seriously its likely to be a bent fuselage but you say it flies straight.

Try and get an experienced flyer to have a look at it

My much crashed Stinger only nose dives into the ground now it may have developed a fear of heights image

Ps u can always take it 2 ur local club a man with a beard will happily help by checking the plane for Trueness
    I will try...

Anyway, I understand from the above that I should check the fuselage as well to make sure it is not bent in any way ...

and if the fuselage is ok, then I will try to change the setting on the servo by moving one hole further on the control horn...

Your jokes are funny, but I haven't been able to fly my plane for more than 2 months already and I have other problems with batteries and charger as well so I'm quite crossed ... image Krimbu2012-05-21 20:13:50
  • garettgarett LTClub Members Posts: 271
    I have Up stream, which I believe is Bixler's twin brother. I don't think fuselage caused effect you are asking about. Firstly check your Tx's settings (if these are changeable), also check if servo(s) are not stripped (they might work all right on the ground), just gently try them by hand. And if you have skills, just make ailerons bigger, I had similar plane just hand made and was able fly it with only 1 aileron working but ailerons were twice longer than we have in Bixler.
    Thank you, garett.

I think i might have found out what the reason could be.

I noticed that the new prop is slightly skewed. I guess when the guy local store enlarged the prop hole to make it fit the motor, the finish was not so accurate...

We didn't have an appropriate adapter.

I will try to fix it and test ...

Regarding ur suggestions:

1) is it a must that the small levers around the tx sticks are in central position?

I use them to make the control surfaces aligned with the respective wings when testing the control surfaces before the flight. In most cases, the result is that they are not in crntre position...

2) what do you mean with stripped servos?

Thx again
  • DaithiDaithi ✭✭✭ Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    The levers are for trimming in flight (small amounts usually as trimming should be done on the model first). If the control surfaces are not 'straight' with everything centralised, then you should alter the push rods (if possible). Also check that the servo arms are at the correct angle relative to the body of the servo

a 'stripped' servo is one where the teeth on the gears are stripped off

An off-centre prop would be more likely to be off balance and cause different problems - when you say it's 'skewed' do you mean it's angled to one side? That could be the motor mount (giving side thrust)Daithi2012-05-22 20:02:04
  • MaximilionalphaMaximilionalpha ✭✭ 17044Club Members Posts: 590 ✭✭
    Why don't you apply a slight bit of pressure down on the left aileron and with your tx, try to move the left aileron upwards. If you have a stripped servo, it'll be then, that it shows up. Aside from that, though, I truly believe, that your motor got knocked slightly out of alignment and needs to be re-adjusted.   2 degrees right....3 degrees downward.Maximilionalpha2012-05-22 22:43:39
    With 'skewed' i mean that when i viewed the plane from above and looked at how the prop is attached to the motor, i noticed that there is millimetric gap between them and it is not symmetric....

Every reply i get from you guys, i get to know that i need to learn the terms more and more :)

I have fixed the issue above. I will reply after the test.

Thx everyone for the help.
  • DaithiDaithi ✭✭✭ Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    If the gap between propellor and the model nose is larger on one side than another, your motor mount has been knocked off the preset line, which will pull the model in the direction of the 'skew'. If it's to the right, then you will get problems turning left as the motor/propellor will be pulling the plane right

Try an extended 'glide' under low power to see if it flies in a straight line (an old trick to cut power is fitting the propellor on backwards as well as keeping the throttle low). If it pulls to the right, then pack the right hand side of the motor mounts with small washers so that it flies straight
  • shellmanshellman Brisbane AUSClub Members Posts: 49
    The plane is designed to be inherently stable. image

I wish my Bixler was 'inherently stable,' mine has never flown in a straight line since new, no matter how I trim it, and I have even added weights to one wing to stop it pulling to the other side. Regardless of when it's under power or just gliding it always pulls to the right. image
  • KaosKaneKaosKane ✭✭✭ Club Members Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭
    The plane is designed to be inherently stable. image

I wish my Bixler was 'inherently stable,' mine has never flown in a straight line since new, no matter how I trim it, and I have even added weights to one wing to stop it pulling to the other side. Regardless of when it's under power or just gliding it always pulls to the right. image
    Follow the advise of Dathi and u should fly straight
  • shellmanshellman Brisbane AUSClub Members Posts: 49
    Yeh, tried all that. I have found others with the same problem with their Bixler, one forum guy I talked to got so sick of his pulling to one side he threw it out. I also noticed a few reviews in the ad for the plane on HK saying the same thing. I'm getting an AXN after taking Bruce's {Xjet} advice. Hve no problems with the setup on my Mini Sports Glider or my Supercub, just the Bixler.
    Ok, so after "aligning" the prop and fitting it correctly on the motor, now I manage to turn better on the left.

What I noticed however is that the motor seems a bit underpowered.

I'm not able to gain so much height...

One of the possible causes is prop installed on opposite side, but I don't know how to verify it.

Can you please advise based on the picture below?

It's an APC 6x4 prop. It has "APC" and "6x4" written on one side. Currently it's on the side facing the Bixler's tail.

• FlyDownUnderFlyDownUnder ɹǝpun uʍopClub Members Posts: 738
    Krimbu, your prop is on the wrong way the numbers should be at the front.

When its on the wrong way its very inefficient, thats why you have little power.
  • airwaveairwave Club Members Posts: 3,563
    the plane uses a pusher prop,you could put it on with letters forward and change any two motor leads.This may make the prop nut get loose as it flys the shaft will be spining in the direction to unscrew it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file