Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turnigy 9xr Pro telemetry?

sibluessiblues New JerseyClub Members Posts: 23
I am trying to come up with a gameplan and parts list for my first build.I am pretty set on the Turnigy but I was originally planning on running the APM 2.6 wit all the bells and whistles until I ran into the telemetry problem.I have been reading tons of articles on how to do it and it is pretty overwhelming.I just wanted to come in here and ask how its done and not a very specific answer is needed I just want to make sure if the receiver needs to be opened and soldered inside and if any firmware updates need to be done.I also would like to ask if I decide to use a Arducopter cc3d revo would that make the process as simple as buying a Frsky or OrangeRx module and setting up the radio?Any help would be great I need all the help I can get.I am going to need some recommendations on some of the parts needed to finish my build but I will post that in the proper section of this forum.

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,371 ✭✭✭
    With the CC3D Revo is is sort of set it up and go if you have one with the telemetry rx and tx for it.

But be aware, none of it is basic Plug & Fly! All will require a modicum of knowledge to accomplish.

If you want telemetry on your Transmitter, there are a few ways to accomplish that by MAVLink or native FrSky telemetry on an APM/PixHawk controller.

Go over to the OpenRC forums and have a look there. Some ways a Transmitter firmware related, so you need to decide what firmware to use before going further.

I suggest not going the OrangeRX route, as that will be very limited.

No receiver needs anything doing to it.
  • sibluessiblues New JerseyClub Members Posts: 23
    I don't have a problem doing research but everything I read led me to believe that the radio had to be opened up and things needed to be soldered inside and thats where I was confused since the radio was telemetry capable it was confusing me as to why it would need to be modified in such a way.I like the CC3d and the APM they both seem pretty straight forward when it comes to setting them up and there are tons of videos online and the user manuals for both are pretty thorough.I kind of gave up on the APM after reading that all of that needed to be done in order to get the telemetry to work.You seem to be all over the place on here and I appreciate it and after reading what you wrote you mean to tell me that with a Frsky module the 9xr will natively work with the Mavlink because that would be awesome.I know it isnt that simple but as long as I don't have to perform a dissection on the radio I am ok with the learning curve.
    Unfortunately there are so many different ways to achieve telemetry with these thins there is no way I am going to list them all here and how to do them - it would take days!

Some would require radio mods, some don't. Some can do telemetry natively for FrSky and MAVLink to the TX, some cannot.

The very best I can do is help out once you have decided WHICH way you want to go. Be it MAVLInk or FrSky I am familiar with it, as well as CC3D Revo, APM2.4.X and PixHawk and their associated firmware flavours. Tried them all!

I strongly suggest that you do register at the OpenRC forum HERE and the also read anything and everything about APM HERE and also read up on LibrePilot, BaseFlight and CleanFlight options for CC3D Revolution boards.

Also the FrSky wiki is great HERE

Once you have decided what you want to accomplish, ask away on any of those sites or back here. Answers will be with you swiftly for sure.WTWUK2016-05-07 07:37:30
    Well I have been told on Librepilot it can not be done so I am not going to take that as my final answer since you have been very helpful in answering my questions and providing me with links and you yourself state that it can be done..I am kind of locked into the cc3d Revo being it is 32 bit and very user friendly and has all teh options I like .I also am pretty locked into the Turnigy 9xpro which is a nice looking and very popular radio and extremely affordable.I have been trying to reach the guys at HobbyKing for days with no luck and no help from them.My frame and misc parts are in the mail and now I wish I could get this all sorted out to order some more goodies.I may pick your brain on a set of motors for my build also.
    I would think a bit more about the CC3D Revo - and look at the PixHawk 2.4.8. That could be better option long term as there is currently a bit of uncertainty in what direction the CC3D firmware is going with OpenPilot dying a death and LibrePilot being so new (albeit OpenPilot in a different skin!)

I have both, and an APM and whilst the CC3D Revo is fine, the other two have far and away better options for support.

In addition - also take a look at the FrSky Taranis radio. Far and away better specified and built than the 9XR-Pro (which I also have both of!)

Come to think of it, I have WAY too much RC gear! lol!!!
    I have had my eye on the taranis it is a really nice radio but for me starting out I can get the radio and necessary module for the same price if I go with the 9xr.The Pixhawk is what I really want but man that is like 200 bucks and the entire cc3d system with gps and all the bells and whistles is running me around 50 bucks from a friend.I was thinking about running cleanflight on it since that is what I found works the best with the telemetry issue I was having the problems with.I also really like the APM but that system is dead in the sense that it will not advance much from this point forward.The Apm would still be my choise simply for the user interface and simplicity plus it is a pretty robust system.I just can't figure out the telemetry issue.I have read 150 articles and they are all full of issues and different solutions that aren't confirmed.I have a splitting headache and I haven't even gotten to figuring out a motor and prop setup.You may end up hating me by the time this is done lol.
    $200 for a PixHawk? Nooooo! Much cheaper ones are about! As that uses the same APM interface as an APM there is not much difference in operation.

But a CC3D Revo set for $50 - go for it. Well worth it for the experience.

Telemetry from the APM/PixHawk to your 9XR Pro is super easy and all it requires is an FrSky TX module (DJT or XJT) and an X Or D series receiver, an Arduino Pro Mini ($4 tops) some fly leads, soldering iron, FTDI and bang! Telemetry direct to the 9XR Pro! Lovely jubbly!

150 articles eh? You are only just scratching the surface! Chances are about a dozen or so of them are 100% right... and there are thousands out there to swat up on. Heh heh!WTWUK2016-05-08 00:16:12
    With the cc3d how would you get the telemetry info to show up on the 9xr and what would be needed?The pixhawks I have seen with the gps and telemetry bits run roughly 170- 215 give or take a few bucks.
    Not sure where you have been looking, but you can get a PixHawk 2.4.8 with M8N GPS and 3DR telemetry radio TX/RX (makes the model controlable in flight from a laptop etc.) for around the $100 mark. And if you use FrSky radio gear, around the $80 mark ...

CC3D Revo to FrSky receiver to OpenTX powered transmitter info HEREWTWUK2016-05-08 02:46:53
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    WT - that site actually says that the CC3D is NOT supported
    Correct. Earlier, original CC and CC3D boards are not supported, but the (CC3D) 'REVO' (Revolution) is.

However, further down the table you will see 'REVO' - they missed the preceding CC3D bit.

If they are saying that it does not work with the CC3D REVO, they might not be aware it does. Strongly suspect know it does though - and I have one and it works just fine.WTWUK2016-05-08 04:01:38
    Well I took the plunge and bought the Pixhawk.I never could stand up to peer

pressure lol.Telemetry runs on a bunch of difference frequencies what would you

recommend for noob like me.I have heard 433 is better for short range but 915 is

better for longer distances.I will be making a build thread and hopefully you can

chime in on motor and prop suggestions.The frame and flight controller are on

their way and as soon as I get a few motors in mind I will be putting in an order

for them and the other bits.I wish I could get a hold of HobbyKing I have been

trying for days.I don't see build threads on here so I won't start one.I will

What other boards are you guys on that way I can start one there and you guys

can chime in.siblues2016-05-08 13:36:08
  • SawdustSawdust Club Members Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭
    "I have heard 433 is better for short range but 915 is

better for longer distances."

I'm certainly no expert in this area, but I think you may find that's the opposite way around. The guys who do know will correct me if I'm wrong.
  • TheQuestorTheQuestor TXClub Members Posts: 629
    433 vs 915 is less an issue of which one is better and more of an issue of which one is "legal"

In the US 915 is legal and 433 is not unless you have a HAM license.

I have had my telemetry modules go beyond "line of sight" and never had a drop out.

But yes 433 would be better for distance than 915 but like I said I have sent many a radio on VERY LONG missions and never once had them drop a connection to my laptop and mission planner.

On a side note I just picked up a new Pixhawk 2.4.8 on the e bay and it works great. It doesn't have the 1mb limit that the older hawks have since it uses the newer STM32F427 rev3 and it was only 60 dollars shipped. These things are getting stupid cheap :)

for info on the 1mg flash limit and how to check here is a nice video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNgClHf9nIo

[TUBE]BNgClHf9nIo[/TUBE]TheQuestor2016-05-08 16:34:41
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Range is actually irrelevant under the forthcoming FAA regulations anyway as you will be restricted to flying line of sight
    Either way I am new to this so I will not be flying anywhere near those

distances.I just didn't want to waste money purchasing items twice.915 it is then

and now as soon as I get some suggestions on motors and props I can get a nice

order together for HobbyKing.Check into my thread in the motor section and let

me know what you would use?Like I said before I really appreciate you helping

me out
    What frame? What do you plan on putting on it [ie cameras/gimbals/fpv/etc]

Also do not limit yourself to HK as they are no longer the only game in town and not always the best price as well. Plus lately their return support is rather iffy at best.

But without knowing what frame [size, quad/hex/octo/etc] it is pretty difficult to recommend motors, escs, and props.
    Well its a 500 TBS Discovery Knock off.I am going to run FPV and later on down

the road a gopro setup.Well like I said I am pretty new to this and I can find

tons of places online but real world experience is welcome.HobbyKing was

worrying me because it has taken them two weeks and counting to answer some of

my questions so what's going to happen when I have a real problem.Here is a pic

of the frame for reference.image
    oh the bendy arm frames. Looks like it will handle 12 inch props fine so something along the lines of a BC2830/14 750KV would be great. Just so happens I have 8 of them that are pretty much new [maybe 4 or 5 flights on them] that I am getting ready to sell and they have the addon bolt on adapters. The motors cost me about 12 bucks each and the bolt on adapters were 2 bucks each + shipping and I'd be willing to let all 8 + adapters go for 80 bucks + 5.80 shipping. That's right about 40 off retail. These are GREAT motors but I am upgrading my X8 to much larger motors. I'll look as I may even have a set of 12x4.5 carbon fiber props I can toss in with them too.

You will want a decent set of 30A escs to run them and fully loaded with a 2200mAh 40c you can expect about 8-11 minutes flight times. A 5000mAh would easily get you about 15+ flight times. I got about 15 minutes on my X8 running 8 of these motors with these 12" props on a single 5000mAh or dual 2200mAh but it was mostly hovering so your mileage may vary.

PM if your interested.

Also with that frame and those arms you will want a decent anti-vibration plate for your hawk as hawks are VERY sensitive to vibrations. go to ebay and search for "Anti-vibration Set Shock Absorber APM" and you can pick them up for about 2 or 3 bucks each [i may have an extra I can toss in with the motors if you want/need :) since I usually buy 3 or 4 of them at a time] TheQuestor2016-05-09 00:18:54
    Questor thanks for the suggestion and the offer.I am going to see what a few

other members suggest and see the range of motors I can choose from.I have been

suggested Sunnysky 2212 980kv.Either way I will have you in mind when it comes

time to purchase.siblues2016-05-09 09:08:04
    The 2212 980kv are great motors with 10 inch or less props for sure. I had a hex running them a couple of years ago and they were fine motors but a little under powered and tended to get a little warm on 4S batteries. [read HOT :P] and these days it's hard to know for sure that you're not getting fakes :(

This is when I first got the Sunnysky motors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-7d7PX-RgQ

[TUBE]c-7d7PX-RgQ[[/TUBE]

here's a video or two of my modded 550 turned 800 on sunnysky 2212 980kv motors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FG2kZ5ycsE

[TUBE]4FG2kZ5ycsE[/TUBE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UNPiGbmhlQ

[TUBE]9UNPiGbmhlQ[/TUBE]

TheQuestor2016-05-09 12:54:12
    Thanks for the vids they were great.Why would you say they were under powered not

that I am leaning that way I am just wondering and it never hurts to gather and

hoard relevant information.I wish someone else would chime in on the motors you

suggested and I would purchase them right now not that I don't trust you word

on the matter.I would love to hear what WTWUK has to say about them also.Sorry I

also forgot to ask what the weight was and how much difference it would make on

a quad setup? being that I will only have 4 of the Bc 2830'ssiblues2016-05-09 13:19:40
  • SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    Those plastic arms break with a heavy landing and believe me when you start off you have lots of heavy landings. image
    I would be willing to send them to you before you pay so you can test them yourself :)

a 2212 980kv will not handle the weight the way a 2830 750KV motor will as they are smaller motors. Plus they are only rated 3S and the 2830's are rated 4S.

Add to that the sunnysky are rated @ 11x4.5 props @ 3S whereas the 2830's are rated for 12x6 props @ 4S. They have more torque and run cooler with bigger props and more voltage.

if you want I will send them to you, if you like them [and you will] then you pay me, if you don't just return them in the same condition I sent them and all is cool.

The EXTRA added bonus is these are 1/2 the price :) so you get 8 for the price of 4 sunnysky so when you eventually crater [and you will] you will have extra on hand and also make sure to have a bunch of extra arms on hand as they break really easy. I probably broke at least 1/2 a dozen before I got good enough to only crash every now and then instead of each and every time lol.

This is my newest build in comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmnmOPM3FnM

[TUBE]fmnmOPM3FnM[/TUBE]

this thing is a MONSTER. it's running 4112 320kv motors with 17x4.5 props. Flies like a B52 bomber :) though that vid I was only running 15x5.5 props on it as my 17's hadn't yet arrived.TheQuestor2016-05-09 15:34:57
    2830's on 4S batteries with 12×6 props. VERY Good setup.

The SunnySky ones are very good motors, and I have run them on 4S and 8x5 props on an F450, but they do warm up a tad.

Personally for a TBS fully loaded I would get those TheQuestor is offering.
    Aye I ran my sunnyskys on 4s too but with slightly larger props [10x3.8] and after about 12 minutes they were too warm for comfort so I sold them and went with some really beefy motors and then went to 12 inch props. BC3536 750Kv 12N14P. I ran them about 2 years and then replaced them with brand new ones and sent the 8 used ones off and had them professionally rewound and OMG what a diff. Tossed on new shafts, new bearings and put them on my T960 but they are WAY over powered so I got the 4112 320kv motors for the T960 and took the 2830 750KV off my X8 and am going to put the BC3536 750Kv on it instead. the 2830's are just a tad under powered for the 800 class X8 and though it flies really well with them, it's just not as efficient as I would like and I was limited to 12 inch props.

here is a vid of my X8 on the motors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad517aZ4JsM

[TUBE]ad517aZ4JsM[/TUBE]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWYKfYLv0CM

[TUBE]hWYKfYLv0CM[/TUBE]

Here's a couple pics of my motors getting re-wound.

imageTheQuestor2016-05-09 16:30:19
    Well my name is Tony incase anyone cares lol.What do you guys recommend as far as

ESC's go for the Pixhawk and those motors go?I also need to figure out a battery

charger connectors and wire and odd bits so my constant questions aren't over yet

guys sorry.I found a build and video of the frame I am using and the motors you

have for sale he also was using a 5000mah and it seemed like the motors were ok

but the battery was causing it to be a bit unstable like the cog was a bit too

far back.Here is a link to the 5000 he is using and why are the prices on the

LiPo's all over the place this is extremely cheap for a 5000.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__56840__Multistar_High_Capacity_4S_5200mAh_Multi_Rotor_Lipo_Pack.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9179__Turnigy_5000mAh_4S_25C_Lipo_Pack.htmlsiblues2016-05-09 19:19:14
    well it depends on what your spend is. HK F30A blues are very good escs and can be flashed simonk

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=70237

Rock solid and cheap.

I actually like the rctimer 30a optos as well but on my big guys I am only using Hobbywing XRotor Pro 40A as they are flat out some of the best escs you can get for the money though they are a tad pricy.TheQuestor2016-05-09 19:06:38
    high capacity lipos kind of suck as they are only 10C and you REALLY want at least a 30C if not 40C. Plus they tend to be a pita to charge correctly with a normal charger.
    Hobbywing XRotor Pro 30A = superb ESC's right out of the box.

Mind you, I recently had a set of four of the Hobbywing XRotor Pro 40A (twin set x 2) delivered for the grand total of £41.00. Bargain!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file