Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reverse not working only forward with brushless ESC

Stephen CzarnotaStephen Czarnota Club Members Posts: 3

I have a TGY-i6S and it is communicating with a Turnigy 30A sbec 2-4S esc.
I have two motors using a mixer to give stearing. All works fine but it would be good to get the boat working exactly as required.
The problem is that I would like to get the motors to run in reverse so I can back the boat up if required.
I am not sure how to proceed, I have checked out various websites and there seems to be little or no information ao any of them.
Reprogramming the firmware on the ESC seems to be an option or setting a servo operated switch to swap two of the three motor phase cables on both motors.
If you have any ideas please let me know.

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭

Unless you can reprogram the ESC's (what firmware have you found that can provide reverse function btw?) you will be needing boat specific ESC's.

Swapping wires is a no go.

• Stephen CzarnotaStephen Czarnota Club Members Posts: 3

I have heard that reprogramming is an option but I was hoping that someone might have some information regarding this process. I don't mind if the ESCs are for a boat plane or car but they must have the reverse functionality.
    I have found reversing ESCs designed for boat planes but I was wondering if it is possible with my current kit.

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭

Reprogramming is only an option if firmware is available for your exact ESC, or you can write it. Other than that, boat ESC's are the way.

• Stephen CzarnotaStephen Czarnota Club Members Posts: 3

WTWUK thank you so much for offering up a very prompt and useful reply. I have two 30A SBEC 2-4s ESCs and the user manual has a setting of reverse, I'm not sure if this just reverses the direction of the motor or allows the motor to be controlled both forward and reverse? I will investigate the possability of reprogramming the firmware. Do boat ESCs allow for forward and reverse control? or is this a feature of other types of ESC. I've seen a clip on Utube that demonstrates forward and reverse but very little else, I was trying to avoid water cooling as my 30A ESCs are air cooled.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file