Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problem with ESC (first post)

Taylor JonesTaylor Jones Club Members Posts: 3

Hello, i recently came across a Xcelorin 8750kv brush-less motor and corresponding Xcerlorin ESC.
I will have my setup attached below, but pretty much i am powering an Servo tester(5v) from arduino and the servo tester has 3 pins as an output (ground,+v, signal) which i feed into the ESC. Then i powered the ESC's ground and +voltage cables from my dc power supply.
What i have noticed is that i am able to power the motor without powering the 2 cables on the ESC( ground,+)!!! As far as i know this should not be.
Does that mean i am pulling current from the 5v arduino pin?
Even when i varied the voltage from my dc power supply to the ESC it would have no effect on the motor or ESC and it shows that i am not pulling any current on my DC power supply.
Any suggestion because my motor seems a little weak.
Thanks

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭

Why power the servo tester with the Arduino?
    Your ESC has a built-in BEC that provides 5V.

What you do need is a battery connected to the Red and black wires from the ESC... as that is where the main power source should be.

• Taylor JonesTaylor Jones Club Members Posts: 3

@WTWUK said:
    Why power the servo tester with the Arduino?
    Your ESC has a built-in BEC that provides 5V.

What you do need is a battery connected to the Red and black wires from the ESC... as that is where the main power source should be.

You are absolutely right, it works with out the arduino 5v and gnd. I didnt know that Esc could provide power. I looked it up online and it looks like it takes the battery voltage and steps it down to a suitable voltage.
    Let me ask you a question since you appear to be a longtime member.
    I like to build electronic projects(like a 3d printer i just built) and have experience in soldering and was wondering what would be a good setup to buy( maybe a link) like flight controller, Esc, PDB, ect. ect. for a beginner who is willing to spend around 200 $ usd.

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭

What you need will depend entirely on what you want to do - fixed wing, racing quad... So many variables.

• Taylor JonesTaylor Jones Club Members Posts: 3

a beggining racer,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file