Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Motor/Power Setup For Underwater ROV

Jake FindlowJake Findlow Club Members Posts: 2

I am planning on building an underwater ROV that is controlled using a console controller and I am trying to figure out what motor/power setup could work for me. I was mostly looking into the turnigy aquastar motors with the usb connection but I'm not sure if this is what I need. If possible I would like to be able to program the motors on a laptop. I would appreciate any help and I will answer all questions to the best of my knowledge.

Answers

• Jake FindlowJake Findlow Club Members Posts: 2

I just realized I will need a speed controller for the turnigy I was looking at and I don't think there is any way to fit that on the underwater ROV so I'm open to any ideas.

• Jai ChambersJai Chambers Club Members Posts: 1

THIS IS A RC CAR ESC NOT WATER PROOF:)

There are multiple options you can uses, it depends on how much you are willing to pay for the best.
    for instance (Hobbyking® X-Car 120A Brushless Car ESC (sensored/sensorless)
    is perfect for underwater as it has lots of different protection features for the motors, such as if your motor would to get block or stuck this has a protection feature where it will turn off. it is programmable with usb cable so you can program on the fly.

2-3 cells Lipo (5-9 cells NI-xx)
    Continuous Current: 120A
    Burst Current: 480A = more than enough
    price for Esc plus program cable is $63 Aud
    Esc--https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr-x-car-120a-brushless-car-esc-sensored-sensorless.html
    program cable----https://hobbyking.com/en_us/usb-programming-adapter-for-hobbyking-x-car-120a-60a-esc.html

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 12,930 ✭✭✭
    edited December 4

Nope. No way to cool it. A boat ESC would be a better option as that could be water cooled with a very watertight setup ...

Motor cooling would also have to be factored in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file