Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Does the Graphene 75C Measure Up?

HobbyKing MarketingHobbyKing Marketing Club Members Posts: 9 mod
edited July 2018 in Batteries

I’m tired. I’m worn out. My lipo test rig is tired, and after 1,980 cycles this new battery has finally worn out.

Wait, did you read that correctly? 1,980 cycles? Yes, 1,980 cycles. And not limp, half-arsed cycles either but hard discharge cycles at 30C/15amp discharges.

Which battery pack can achieve this? The battery I was asked to cycle test is the new Graphene 500mah, 3S, 75C pack.

I always cut off cycle testing once capacity testing shows a loss of 20%. For most brands this happens as early as around 75 cycles, some survive to around 300 cycles and a couple brands have pushed the 500 mark. I expected this pack to get very hot as it neared its end of life, but at cycle 1,982 I discharged it at 40C (hey, what did I have to lose?)!

The new Graphene did better than any other brand battery I have ever tested and I’ve been asked to test scores of other brands, over the past five years. The Turnigy Graphene 65C was the only one which ever came close. Imagine that. A worn-out pack is still better than almost every other brand of battery pack when new.

The measured ESR (Internal Resistance) variation over a temperature range of 5-52°C (41-126°F) was incredibly positive. Over the whole range, the Graphene 75C had a lower IR than any other battery packs I’ve tested. With less performance sag, the battery is probably great for racing drones and EDFs.

One thing that I am sure will stir criticism is the new fluorescent green positive wire on the discharge lead and balance tap. Personally, I like this. My guess is other battery sellers will insist how terrible it is but within a year I suspect they will jump on board offering other colours of positive leads. It is different and some people just don’t like changes.

Written by Rampman

The Graphene 75C is available to buy here NOW!

Comments

• TummiTummi Club Members Posts: 7

Battery: "75C pack"
    Test discharge: "cycles at 30C"
    No wonder it works fine with such light load...

I have some "old" 65C Graphenes, those were OK for the first 20-30 discharges at 32C load (measured with Wattmeter :D). Then they begin to swell. Same story with Turnigy Heavy Duty 60-120C.
    I was expecting 60+C batteries to live long, steady life with 30-35C loads - not a chance so far.

T.

• AMCAMC Club Members Posts: 1

Looks good to me. I try not to fly over 20C as I like to fly for more than 3 minutes.

• Rod GordonRod Gordon Club Members Posts: 2

Tried the 2200 4s 65c yesterday after 3 charges/to storage discharge, normal nano teck 65c give 4plus mins in DF. This Graphene gave JUST 3mins, for the first time ever I saw the ECU work to glide the model home ! Fellow members have same problem, DO NOT USE THEM, have ordered HD 60c that work well.RG

• Frank MattoxFrank Mattox Club Members Posts: 1

If I had some, I would power up my two or three electric planes that have high amperage demands to make them capable of #D maneuvers.

• jondarlojondarlo Club Members Posts: 2

I hope that the test report remains consistent throughput this new range. The Graphene batteries I have used have, in most examples, have not come up to even the standard range of blue Turnigy batteries. They have given very strong performance for about 5 or 6 flights, then they just die off after the initial take off and I have to land asap.
    I have had good results so far with the 5 and 6s 5000 packs, but the 1300-1500-2200 are woeful for the money.
    I have junked about 8 of them so far. And I don't overload my batteries, I have old Turnigy Blue batteries that are 5 years old and still delivering.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file