Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HobbyKing 120A Boat ESC setup

This discussion was created from comments split from: Genesis Eclectic Boat.

Comments

• James PerkinsJames Perkins Club Members Posts: 6

Does any one have any info on this ESC HobbyKing 120A Boat ESC 4A UBEC? I know with airplanes ESC you need to calibrate the ESC before first flight, by moving the stick to full throttle and then plug in your battery and then pull the stick all the way back and that calibrates the ESC. I am not sure about calibrating a boat ESC that has revers as the default setting, as I believe the HobbyKing 120A Boat ESC 4A UBEC comes with reverse as the default. Do you start with the throttle stick in the center and then plug in your battery? I know this may be a silly question to most of you but this is my first boat, so I need some help.

• Tomáš MihálikTomáš Mihálik Club Members Posts: 3

HK 120A ESC has default forward and reverse with brake, reverse force is 25% and 3,2V battery low voltage protection. There is needed only to have stick in neutral when you plug it.

So on this ESC no calibrates needed. Thank you Tomas.

• Tomáš MihálikTomáš Mihálik Club Members Posts: 3

You are welcome

• Larry CottrillLarry Cottrill Club Members Posts: 6

James,

Everything that has been said here is correct, and the default settings should work with about any modern brushless motor. However, after you're used to running your boat, you might want to get the HobbyKing Boat ESC Programming Card, which allows you to tune things exactly to your liking. It is quite inexpensive, easy to use, and you can download my file titled 'Using the HobbyKing Boat ESC Programming Card(dot)pdf' for some help in using it. A nice feature is that it allows you to quickly re-set to the default settings if needed / desired.

I would not recommend trying to use the 'No Reverse' setting, as this has been reported to create logic problems in the ESC. Also, if your motor runs your prop through a flexible shaft, I would keep the reverse at 25% power max, to keep from shortening the life of the shaft.

I have HobbyKing 120A Boat ESC 4A UBEC in my boat and the ESP cuts the power off at 4.00 volts per cell I ordered a programming card and it does not changes the cut off volt. I am guessing the card is not working. Is there a way to change the cut off volts using the radio?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file