Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Basher RockSta

wldecker77wldecker77 Club Members Posts: 40

All of my Basher RockSta Crawler's plastic gears stripped immediately upon setting it down on a bare wooden floor! I ordered an extra plastic set with it, because the metal set was not available at the time during the advent sale. I never even bothered to replace the plastic sets,while waiting for the metal ones, because that would just be stupid! It's great now that the gears have been replaced, which was a pain in the butt! But this crawler should NEVER have even been shipped with the plastic ones.

Comments

• Sajjad MoughalSajjad Moughal Club Members Posts: 1

I Want to get the RockSta as well but when are the metal gears going to be back in stock???

• Nick_HKNick_HK Club Members Posts: 89 ✭✭

All I can tell you is they will be back in stock very soon.

• George IrvineGeorge Irvine Club Members Posts: 5

I had exactly the same experience as the OP, it was a bit disappointing. Hobbyking have sent out a set of plastic replacement gears so they should be here in a couple of months time but I've got some metal ones on backorder. It is a bit of a shame that the plastic gears are so fragile as the rest of the crawler looks really good. I'm sure the manufacturer must be aware of this fault so why ship them with plastic gears at all?

@Nick_HK said:
    All I can tell you is they will be back in stock very soon.

Hi Nick, is there any update on gears availability? I hope you're getting plenty this time :)

At this stage it is looking like end of March but I have asked if there is any chance of getting stock sooner.

As for changing the product to include the metal gears from the start we are looking into this at the moment, the problem is that fitting them will add to the cost of the product, quite significantly. So the question is how much more would customers be willing to pay for the metal gears to be included. I would love to hear what you guys would think is a fair price increase to pay.

For a little bit extra cash I'm sure you could include them in the box with a how-to guide. Most people involved in this hobby don't mind rolling up their sleeves. It would only be until the current stock is finished and they could become a standard component from the factory.

In answer to your question, I don't think an additional £10 would be unreasonable.

edited March 2018

Metal gears are in stock in HK only, also I have put a limit on how many sets you can buy to stop the scalpers. As soon as they hit stock there were a bunch of people buying massive quantities that could not possibly be for personal use, unless they have 15 RockStas. This is a common problem with car parts and I am working on a fix for this, it is actually the main cause of our out of stock issues with car parts, so hopefully when the next batch of car spares come into stock they won't all go out of stock in the first week.

Hope this helps you guys.

Thanks Nick :)

• TipTowTipTow Club Members Posts: 13

Thanks Nick. I ordered 4 sets for my two rocksta's. :)

• wldecker77wldecker77 Club Members Posts: 40

Thanks Nick, the Rocksta is rock solid with the metal gears, it's a little spy crawler now with FPV!
    ...V2 add the gears, any price increase would be worth it! Great first crawler!

• Markus ReichMarkus Reich Club Members Posts: 1
    edited November 2018

@Nick_HK said:
    Metal gears are in stock in HK only, also I have put a limit on how many sets you can buy to stop the scalpers. As soon as they hit stock there were a bunch of people buying massive quantities that could not possibly be for personal use, unless they have 15 RockStas. This is a common problem with car parts and I am working on a fix for this, it is actually the main cause of our out of stock issues with car parts, so hopefully when the next batch of car spares come into stock they won't all go out of stock in the first week.

Hope this helps you guys.

Hi Nick! This sounds smart in a way.
    If you sell every spare part in shortest time, it´s really good for you, you should produce much more!

Or if you run out of spare parts you should only sell to buyers, which have bought the amount of bashers, which fits roughly to the number of spare parts... difficult.

The best is to produce more. The pricing of your spare parts is in my opinion cheap, and as you can see it´s hard to get them, so everybody puts them in his own stock, thats also a reason to buy a lot.

In my familiy we have 3 rockstas, and I want to build a fourth one on my own with spare parts, but currently there is not much spare parts in stock of your shop . I want to buy a fifth one the next years.

There are currently only 14 Positions in your shop in stock out of 36 possible different parts!

I still need urgently:
    the Outdrives SKU: 9249001294-0
    the bearing SKU: 9249001296-0
    the support plate SKU: 9249001269-0
    the internal plastic gears SKU: 9249001276-0 (yes they run smoother than the metal ones in the first stages after the motor)

Can you tell if they will be available sometimes?
    For me it looks like you will stop selling the Rocksta Basher, if there are less and less spare parts..
    Is there a plan how long you will sell this product in future?

In general I can tell you some secret, partly really easy improvements, to make the crawler much more capable in terms of speed and driving sound. Then you would sell a lot more of them...

Greetings from Germany /Berlin
    Markus

• Jason PhelanJason Phelan Club Members Posts: 60
    edited November 2018

This is a no brainer HobbyKing should use its weight to destroy the eBay scalpers.

If HobbyKing hold enough stock to both cater to scalpers AND retain spares on their warehouse scalpers would find their products worthless. And you don't have to flood the market with dozens of lines. Just make it so that in affect these little gears become worthless. It's a thinly valed threat. And scalpers will understand this threat and act accordingly. HobbyKing would be looking to position its-self like Kyosho or Tamiya in the eyes of scalpers.

I believe this is how blue parts (aftermarket Tamiya p&a) deals with eBay. The ability to create unsustainable gluts of parts is something HobbyKing can do that scalpers cannot counter or even survive.

Or perhaps secretly HobbyKing doesn't really care. Let's be honest with ourselves. In a high turnover low profit model the stake holders and the accounts department love parts that fly off the shelf and have exactly zero concern for whatever industry they work in or its reputation.

Sure the 'HobbyKing Crew' are sincere and avid modelers the accountants seem to be making all of the decisions.

At the end of the day WE must remember they are a business and as such must act accordingly.

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭

HobbyKing never cared, and are highly unlikely to, about eBay sellers buying in bulk and them selling on eBay at exorbitant prices. Never going to change.

• Jason PhelanJason Phelan Club Members Posts: 60
    edited November 2018

Another thing is that scalpers rely on our ignorance.
    Remember people - knowledge is power.

For example I saw final drive shafts (dogbones) for a bolt for bold replica of a Kyosho car. The thing is that this scalper, taking advantage of Hobbyking's shortage, priced his stock higher that buying original OEM parts!

Who in their right minds will pay $20 for an item that HobbyKing sells for around $7.50 and Kyosho sells the real McCoy part for $12. Heck you can buy OEM Kyosho titanium (real, not coloured) FD shafts for $25 bucks.

Il tell you who in their right minds! People that, somehow, haven't heard of Google and refuse to do a little research.

Just saying..

• Jim DesaroJim Desaro Club Members Posts: 1

Hello out there to all you rocksta crawler owners! I’m looking for a tire/wheel combo up grade for my crawler. Any suggestions? Something that is available . In stock that is.

• Thomas BuckleyThomas Buckley Club Members Posts: 1
    edited February 25

Any idea if/when they may be in stock again?

• wa1210ckwa1210ck Club Members Posts: 3

I'm looking to buy the Basher RockSta Crawler but want to use it with my existing radio. Looks like a typical 2-channel radio (from description). It won't show the inside of the crawler so I can't see what kind of receiver it's using or how many channels it actually needs.

So does this use a standard RX that can be easily replaced or does it use a proprietary one that's fused with the ESC and I can't use another?

Thanks guys!

• Jay RogersJay Rogers Club Members Posts: 1
    edited May 30

Proprietary. Look it up under spare parts and you'll see. Mind you, how would you plan on changing the steering modes on a regular transmitter? You won't be able to switch from all wheel steering, crab steer, etc...

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/2-in-1-esc-receiver-pcb.html

Some of the nicer radios have options for 4ws etc

@Jim Desaro said:
    Hello out there to all you rocksta crawler owners! I’m looking for a tire/wheel combo up grade for my crawler. Any suggestions? Something that is available . In stock that is.

https://store.rc4wd.com/10-Tires_c_599.html

https://store.rc4wd.com/10-Wheels_c_600.html

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file