Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the difference between Mode 1 vs Mode 2 Radios?

Joshua DoobayJoshua Doobay Club Members Posts: 6

Which mode would be best fit for me?

Comments

• Alex DavisAlex Davis Club Members Posts: 3

Hey Josh, Depending on where you are located will depend on which mode most people in your area will be using. I would recommend visiting a local flying club and see what mode transmitters people are using. Mode 1 is elevator and rudder on the left stick and throttle and aileron on the right stick. Mode 2 is Throttle and Rudder on the left stick and Elevator and Aileron on the right stick. Here in the states Mode 2 is most popular.

• Joshua DoobayJoshua Doobay Club Members Posts: 6

Thank you for the information. This really helped me out.

• SootySooty ✭✭✭ Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭

Although I fly Mode2 there appears to be an advantage with Mode1 in that aileron turns can be achieved without accidentally feeding in up elevator - making turns smoother while maintaining constant altitude. I use thumbs on the sticks rather than pinching between thumb & finger and I have to be careful not to accidentally make unwanted elevator deflections when controlling ailerons with the same stick.
    It depends upon who you fly with. I started with throttle and aileron on right stick and found it ok but then when it came to finding someone experienced to "maiden" a new plane it made life rather difficult so I changed and went with the mode fashion of the day.

As a further comment to above a number of people I fly with today were mode1 but decided to change to mode2 once hellis and multi rotors became fashionable. The reckon that Mode2 suits multis much better.

• Rescue_RichRescue_Rich Club Members Posts: 17

I see some models have a mode 3 and 4 in the setup what are these used for?

They are just variants of mode 1 and mode2. Once you have established whether you want the throttle on left or right stick, which is a mechanical adjustment, you can change the other 3 controls to wherever you want them simply by swapping the receiver output connections to suit.

• KK SUTTONKK SUTTON Club Members Posts: 6

I am a pilot so I am accustomed to the throttle on the left and yoke on the right.

• KK SUTTONKK SUTTON Club Members Posts: 6

I reversed those!!

• hairykartshairykarts ✭✭ auk nzClub Members Posts: 649 ✭✭

F5j gliders use the l/h throttle stick for flaps on landing and use a slider for the throttle.
    Just to jumble things up a bit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file