Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FrSky S6R - Getting Started With Receiver Setup

SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭

I have been successfully using a S6R receiver for some months after setting it up using the FrSky Configuring tools available for download from their website along with the STK Hardware Tool. The PC config tool is quite straight forward once you get past the foibles of Windows and USB connectivity.

I had a 2nd S6R which had been sitting on the shelf for a while and decided it was time to put it in a model. Before doing so I updated it with the latest firmware. I thought that seeing I had a ready-made control set complete with switch settings for my previous model it would be quicker to duplicate that and use it as a starting point. WRONG!

FrSky have incorporated a beginners "Quick Setup" mode as a default in their firmware but not deemed it necessary to tell anyone downloading the FW. Quick Mode offers a single 3 pos switch setup for the stabilised features except Hover & Knife Edge. Currently the only way to turn off Quick Mode is by using a LUA script for OpenTX or .bas script for ersky9x using your transmitter.

The change has caused considerable confusion for a lot of people. There is now a reference to this default mode in the S6R/S8R instruction sheet for download - but very easy to miss if unaware of the change.

If you are having problems search S6R on RCGroups or openrcforums for help. A new .bas script for Taranis running ersky9x is available from the ersky9x download page and works well on a QX7 running that firmware. A LUA script is available from OpenTX site and is included in firmware updates. For my QX7 I have put the .Bas script in the Scripts_Telemetry directory on the SD Card where it works fine.

One trap for newbies with S6R and S8R is that you must set up the maximum end-points for AIL (including CH5 if using independent servos), ELE, & RUD on your TX before running the self-level setup on the RX. If you have minimum settings on your TX during setup you will not be able to increase those movements later as the RX learns the settings in order not to exceed the throws and damage the servos during stabilising compensation. If you set up with say 60% for AIL and ELE and you later decide that the model could do with more control you will find that all you get is dead-band between 60% - 100%.

I spent many hours trying to work out the dead-band puzzle for my original model fitted with S6R.

Setup RX with maximum throws your hardware/servos will permit and then carry out self-level setup. Once that is done you should never have to do that again as small incremental angle adjustments can be performed using either scripts from TX or on computer using config. tool. Then you can set up your mixes and limits for the model.

Comments

• SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭

I have noticed over time that the maximum throw settings referred to above can be lost between model usage. Sometimes it effects all control settings and sometimes just one channel such as elevator or aileron. During a preflight tests I have found that with a week or two between flights the ailerons unexpectedly have full throw in one direction and nothing the other way. The only way to restore it is to perform the self-test once again taking care to ensure that TX dual rates is set to maximum throws while performing the self-test.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file