Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Painting foam

flip79flip79 melbourneClub Members Posts: 28
Hay guys I saw a post about painting foam with normal spray paint cans? ( not the hobby foam safe ones but the hardware shop type) The post said that you can as long as its light coats sprayed from a distance?    image has anyone tried this? and can anyone tell me what the HK foam actually is image

Comments

• CAMMERCAMMER Club Members Posts: 507

I've painted parts of a "Radian" with spray can,

for orientation at altitude.

(before I read it's not a good idea image )

I used "line-marker" black paint, it worked ok.

Maybe it's water based, don't have the can now.

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭
    If it is EPO, yep. You can use what I call 'car paint' rattle cans.

But! If the foam is EPS, you will melt it.

Best paints I have used so far on all foams are Tamiya acrylics in the little glass jars, and Humbrol satin finish enamels (albeit via an airbrush).

• flip79flip79 melbourneClub Members Posts: 28
    yeah i tried it on an old striker wreck as it was the same foam and it was fine in fact the finish was better than i expected!
  • Nick_HKNick_HK Club Members Posts: 89 ✭✭

Both the Tamiya and Vallejo paints should be OK on most foams, so long as you thin them with water and not proprietary thinners. However, you should always test a small area before painting.

• AbranAbran Club Members Posts: 52

I find any acrylic paint is fine on HK foam, I use Sojonyas acrylics but what ever I try with spray paint it eats it even doing light coats.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file