Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servo control circuit

Lotus2102Lotus2102 Club Members Posts: 7
I would like the servo to stay in its outer most position, then when I flick a switch I would want it to turn 180 degrees, I dont know where to look for something like that, does HK have it?

or do i have to make it myself?

Comments

• Benny BoyBenny Boy Club Members Posts: 1
    U can do this with all servos as long as you are using a computer radio trasmitter, you will need to enter the transmitters menu and look for end points and travel adjust and set these to the switch u wish to use and then ajust accordingly
  • JanComputermanJanComputerman Rhode IslandClub Members Posts: 170
    Yes like Benny Boy says check the landing gear channel switch on your transmitter.
  • WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭
    I suspect the OP is not using a radio.

Also not all servos have the capability to traverse 180°, even if a radio has extended endpoints up to 125%.
  • SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭
    Not sure all servos can do 180 deg. though but that could be a limitation of the radio system end points rather than the servo attributes. Not a lot of point to 180 as the last 25 deg. of travel in each direction is rather limited as far as travel is concerned compared with the center range.Sooty2016-01-16 09:19:43
    Just checked my HXT900 servo running on an Arduino and it looks close enough to 180 degrees of travel to me. Now what happens when you take the signal wire and connect it to ground and 5 volts?
  • __Evan__Evan Club Members Posts: 1,122
    Just connecting the signal wire to 5V or GND won't do anything. The signal needs to be PWM - high for 1ms then low for 24ms to drive the servo to one end, high for 2ms then low for 23ms to drive the servo to the other end.
  • SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,107 ✭✭✭
    None of my 50 or so HXT900 servos go anywhere near 180 deg. No point if they did as any push-pull just becomes cross-cross at the ends of travel.
    Weird because mine does swing 180 as part of the startup test I programmed, just plugged into a hobbyking Arduino ... He may not be using it to push-pull so 180 travel matters and could be useful to lock in an open and closed position with great force when you use that end travel.
    Arduino would be a low-cost simple option here.

http://playground.arduino.cc/Learning/SingleServoExample
  • Lotus2102Lotus2102 Club Members Posts: 7
    Hey people

I would like it to work without radio/computer/arduino.

I once made a "Useless Box" with a small circuit (including 555 IC) to do something similar, but I hoped HK had something simple that works so I dont have to solder it together myself. and make it watertight.

edit:

It doesnt have to move exactly 180 degrees, just move from one extreme to the otherLotus21022016-01-17 01:29:48
    Do you want it to work automatically or by hand then? That would be a useful bit of info!WTWUK2016-01-17 01:51:01
    It will be a switch which will cause the servo to turn, when the switch is not activated, I need the servo to turn the other way
    A manual switch you poke with a finger, or an 'automatic' one such as a timer?

This is getting tedious now ...

a finger, for sake of argument, what difference would it make if it was a timer?
  • SawdustSawdust Club Members Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭
    "for sake of argument,"?????

How about for the sake of accurate information hmmm. You give people as much information as you can and they can better visualise what you're doing, associate that with their knowledge of parts, what they can do and how they work and they can more easily help you. I for one DO NOT even bother wasting my time even considering trying to help people like you. If you can't be bothered explaining things then why the f image would any of us. Luckily for you some are more generous than me, in case you didn't get the hint from WTWUK's previous answer, that generosity is rapidly running out too thanks to your "none of your business attitude". image Sawdust2016-01-17 08:18:31
    Get a servo tester and connect a switch to the center wiper of the pot after removing the pot and you have it, connectors and everything, just plug in a receiver battery or a 3 cell NiCad or single cell lithium and having the voltage a little under 5 volts will make the servo turn slower in case you want it to go slow.
    I thought I had explained it thoroughly, when I said switch, in my world it is pretty obvious that a switch - in some form or another - moves from "normally open" to "closed" the nature of how the circuit-connection is closed was in this instant not relevant, so I left it out to keep my question simple.

I didnt mean to offend my helpful fellow hobbyists image

> Jan

I think that is a great idea!

edit:

I am making a license plate flipper for my motorcycle, and it will be controlled using the signal light on the steering handle. Lotus21022016-01-17 16:59:52
    If you had said it was to be operated by a handlebar switch on a motorbike - you would have had your answer at POST 2!
    Bloody unbelievable! You can't even see how that information would have made it so much bloody easier for us to have helped you image .

On a side note to WTWUK, I wish I'd done what he's thinking of on my bike before the big crash last April. Oooh, the fines and points on my license I could have saved thanks to that ballistic beastie image .
  • __Evan__Evan Club Members Posts: 1,122
    JanComputerman's suggestion (dismantle a servo tester and swap the potentiometer for a switch) will work perfectly, and it's by far the easiest option. Add a cheap 5V regulator to run it off the 12V battery.
    Sawdust Calm down woman!
    Of course if you mounted a choke control on the handle bar and cable controlled the plate rotator ... No battery worries!
    Hheh! 'Handraulic' lol!

Interested as to why one would need a number plate that flips up ... certainly if it is on a street legal bike ...

Such things are highly illegal in the UK, and could lead to a VERY serious offence of 'Attempting to pervert the course of justice' and could get ya 3 years in the clink! lol!!WTWUK2016-01-19 04:14:02
  • swervynswervyn Club Members Posts: 1,313
    Well if it is good enough for 007......
  • FlyDownUnderFlyDownUnder ɹǝpun uʍopClub Members Posts: 738
    Many years ago a ad in a Australian motorcycle magazine sold such a device, it claimed it was for washing under the license plate and at the very bottom of the ad in very small print it said it can be operated while in motion.
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Actually you'd only need 90 degrees of movement - mount the two plates at right angles to each other

But don't fit Brownings to the bike image
    In the USA we have easy pass for road tolls and a local bridge that was recently replaced had a $0.50 toll added to it under protest from the local residents so they setup a camera to take plate photos and said if you went over the bridge less than 20 times in a month and didn't have an easy pass they would not bother sending you a bill in the mail. Well I shielded my easy pass but they matched my plate to my easy pass account and charged my easy pass anyway. Had I swapped the plate out ... Well you get the idea ... Traffic cameras too! NOT THAT I AM SUGGESTING ANYTHING HERE!
    The day he does get pulled over by a cop would be an interesting one. Imagine the excitement on the cops face when he spots the mechanism on the back of the bike and sees all the dollar signs flashing in front of his eyes. He'll be in it so deep he'll never be able to wash the smell off image .
    The 'flipper' could be (of course I would never do that) used against parked photo-speed-controls, in a situation like that you will mostly detect the parked (police)car too late to slow down, but not to late to flip your plate   image

As far as I know, it's not illegal to have one installed, illegal to use against speed control yes.

I'm pretty sure it is very illegal. If you want to be sure, go to the cop shop and ask them and also what you can be charged with for having it and how big the fines are. I think you're in for a rather large shock   image .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file