Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IONOS F3A Centre of Gravity

gralingralin Club Members Posts: 2
I have this plane and the instructions say 42mm aft of where the leading edge meets the fuselage. This equates to about 1/10th of the chord instead of the usual 1/3 chord. It cant possibly be right because every other plane I have flown over the last 30 years is 1/3 chord.

It looks like it should balance on or near the wing tube which would be 123mm aft of the leading edge. 42mm just doesnt make sense.

Can anyone shed light on this please.

Comments

• yfl211yfl211 BelgiumClub Members Posts: 235 ✭✭
    After 30 years you could know that when you load up a plane, you balance it on your finger on 1/3rd of the wing and when it tips forward a bit it flies. That's how I do for a decade now; never fails. Forget the rest, makes life a lot easier.
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    That model has a tapered wing and the theoretical CoG would be at 1/3 of the mean chord (not the root chord). Check at 42 mm aft of the wing tip leading edge and not the root and you may find that's in the correct position
  • gralingralin Club Members Posts: 2
    Yeah now that I'd buy...from the wing tip. Its double tapered actually. Ill do it just ahead of the spar. Silly I should have to be slowed up by garbage instructions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file