Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

restore foam after hot water fix

dlh1975dlh1975 Club Members Posts: 221
ok,so most,if not all of us know the way to bring back the shape to a crashed and crumpled foam model is dip it in near boiling water for 30 seconds at a time,,as often as needed,until it comes back into the original shape....then most of us will also know that this leaves the foam with a slightly raised 'snake skin' look afterwards which although the foam will now be back into the correct shape, is kinda unattractive looking....

well,suffer no more!

the way to remedy this is after each dipping,use the underside of a spoon to rub at the affected area firmly,every where the 'snake skin' has appeared. this will smooth out the foam into almost its original texture. done soon enough after the hot water dip,and firmly enough,it will be almost as good as new.

dont expect miracles,there will still be some barely noticeable difference in the undipped and unrubbed area compared to the treated area,but compared to just dipping in hot water alone,the spoon trick makes a lot of difference in restoring your foam model back into that pre crash condition.

i always use this method and it works every time.(yes,i crash a lot!)

hope this helps someone. image dlh19752012-11-29 03:25:10

Comments

• WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 12,936 ✭✭✭
    +1 on that technique. Can work wonders! This foam is a strange material ... My Father used to work in an Expanded Polystyrene factory many years ago, when it was in the early days of being used as packaging material. He knows most of the trick for repairing damaged foams.

Off topic a little here ... Some of the things he brought home to make patterns for was amazing - Kodak 'pink transfer paper' photocopiers, one of the first Texas Instruments pocket calculators, LED digital watches, Zenith E cameras and loads more. Oh!!! And .. .the Rolf Harris Stylophone!!!!

I recall in about 1972 or 3, he brought home some 'proper' 3 dimensional 'polystyrene' gliders with (from memory) a good 18in wingspan or so - a new concept as before all the others had been 'flat' profile models ... were they the first 'Foamies'? I wonder if any still exist? As kids, me and my Brother had loads of them! great fun!
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    We used to do that with new boots in the RAF (then spit and polish to bring up a mirror shine) image
  • WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 12,936 ✭✭✭
    Oh yes! Pimples all over and hot spoon handle the lot flat ... spend hours getting them absolutely immaculate with a mirror shine - frogs, between the treads the lot ... and that little Scots DI would throw them out of the window into the mud and snow at 6AM inspection! heh heh!!!
  • Bill RussellBill Russell Club Members Posts: 4

Foam applied to R Cs, now micro light , ultraliggts, drones what next? Been great.

• Aviatoy_ruAviatoy_ru Club Members Posts: 10

Дальше будут автомобили, лодки, дома и космические корабли.... Мы сейчас используем в Авиамодельных кружках при школах.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file