Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can any of these sailboats survive salt water

Iain MackinnonIain Mackinnon Club Members Posts: 3
Hi there.

I am considering buying a hobby king sail boat, but would only be able to sail in the sea. Can Any of these sailboats be modified to stand up to frequent salt water sailing

Comments

• SootySooty Christchurch NZClub Members Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭
    Keeping the salt water away from servos is probably the major problem to overcome plus replacing anything ferrous with brass or stainless steel.
  • fil71fil71 Club Members Posts: 5
    Just clean your boat with fresh water after sailing at salt water. Cover the servo sail and servo rudder with silicon sealant.
  • coolmobilitycoolmobility Club Members Posts: 7
    I sail in salt/brackish water all the time. As stated, just rinse out with water if you get water into boat and keep hatch off to dry out. Keep your batteries waterproof inside boat as well as transmitter and plugs/swiches to keep black wire (corrosion) away.

It is really hard to make a boat always dry ...
  • Malibu01Malibu01 Albion Park RaiClub Members Posts: 6
    Hi Guys, first post on this site and a new owner of a 1.8mt Monsoon.Bought from a hobby shop in Sydney and everything arrived as stated. In reply to Iain Mackinnon about waterproofing against salt water, I use Plasti-Dip on my electrics. Works great and is easily removable if needed.Have a look at this product on you-tube, definitely worth a few minutes of your time.Apart from making alterations to the hatch to keep water out, my Monsoon is otherwise trouble free.
  • SawdustSawdust Club Members Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭
    Ian posted his question 4 years ago. Good on you for trying to be helpful anyway though, plus your posting in this thread revives it and with useful information too. I use Plasti-Dip quite a lot myself, I find the actual liquid fantastic for all sorts of purposes. It's great for coating connections with a thin or as thick as you like layer of very tough insulation, it can also be great for coating the handles of tools and also as a tough protective coating anywhere needed. The only frustrating problem I've found is keeping it from going off once opened. The little plastic lid is way too useless to be airtight, I thought I might have found the solution with the last lot I bought by tightly wrapping Glad Wrap over the top before putting there plastic cap over that but unfortunately within about a month it was thickening up to where it would soon be useless, wasting at least half the cylinder, very frustrating waste of a lot of great product   image . If you, or anyone has discovered the magic solution to preventing it going off that would be great to share. Also if you or anyone knows what's best for thinning it down a bit while it's still slightly usable that would also be great to know.

A while ago I discovered in an auto parts shop that there's also pressure pack spray cans of it available in all sorts of colours from the usual red and black to high vis fleuro colours and everything in between, even a metallic one! The particular auto parts chain store I found these in was AutoBarn. It's not so great for trying to insulate electric connections, the propellant keeps bubbling out while it's setting creating pockets which can be difficult to fill. They are good for coating a surface with a tough flexible coating. I even used some to sort of retread the tyres on a mobility scooter, each one in different colours of course just to be lairy, you definitely can't mistake that (yeah mine) mobility scooter for anyone else’s and it's holding up to the wear and tear pretty well so far. Expensive stuff but well worth the money, there's nothing else I know of quite like it. Shoe Goo is fantastic stuff and a little similar in some ways too but each have their special places in my kit of must have handy gear   image .
  • Malibu01Malibu01 Albion Park RaiClub Members Posts: 6
    Hey Sawdust, never took the time to read when this post was posted but I hope the information helps a few sailors.I went through two receivers until I heard about Plasti-Dip.
    Never any harm in bringing old threads back to the surface with new or useful information I reckon. Especially when you're dealing with something as conductive and corrosive as sea water always is image . It would have faded into obscurity and the useful information with it if you hadn't brought it back to the surface.
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Back to the surface? It's a sailboat not a submarine image
    (Slaps forehead and groans). Good one Daithi image image .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file