Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can i charge 4S from 12 volt car battery

unleadedunleaded newcastle nswClub Members Posts: 452 ✭✭
i have only used 3s lipos in the past and charge them using a Imax B6 charger connected to a 12 volt car battery that is also connected to a 12 volt trickle charger (i know long story) (no mains power supply)

I am about to receive some 4S lipos for my new Vampire and i ask can i charge 4S battery (14.8V) using the same setup

I assume that the charger is only charging one cell at a time when the ballence is used or do I need a battery source equal to the 14.8 total volts image

Comments

• flarssenflarssen Club Members Posts: 1,331
    The charger will step up the voltage as needed, so no worries. Some chargers will need more than 12V to be able to deliver full power, but thats another story.

Fred
  • Mr&MrsNiftyMr&MrsNifty Ontario, CanadaClub Members Posts: 635
    Negative, the 12V car battery should be more than enough.
    I assume that the charger is only charging one cell at a time when the ballence is used
    No. It charges the pack through the main charge connection and draw current though the balancing connection to make effective charge current lower for cells with a voltage higher than the lowest cell.

Fred flarssen2012-01-18 17:46:26
  • unleadedunleaded newcastle nswClub Members Posts: 452 ✭✭
    image in decided to bump this as i still have no real answer "do i have to buy a power pack to charge 4S lipo or can i still do it from a 12 volt car battery"
  • SawdustSawdust Club Members Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭
    The charger will step the voltage up. Your 12volt battery will do fine for charging 4s, 5s, 6s or whatever the charger is designed to charge.
  • spitfire2010spitfire2010 DPRKClub Members Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭
    Undecided?

You have been given correct answers from both posters are very experienced. Your charger will step up the voltage to suite. In fact, I charge 6s packs from 12v psu.spitfire20102012-01-22 14:22:49
  • FusionTigerFusionTiger Club Members Posts: 476
    Power draw effiency may drop just a wee bit, that's all.

Yes you can use the 12v Car battery if you do not cross it's max discharge limit. Remember to do your math.

A simple checklist:

1. Charger supports 12v Input
    2. 12v Car Battery capability to handle required discharge rate
    3. 12v Car battery must be of higher capacity than your 4S pack
    As Spitty said, you were answered fairly clearly already.

You should have been able to work it out from the specs anyway. Let's take this basic Imax B6 HERE as an example. It'll charge up to 6s lipo, that's 25.2 volts to finish charging 6 cells. "Input Voltage: 11~18v".

So 18 volts is the MAXIMUM input voltage yet it can charge a 6s lipo up to 25.2 volts.

THINK ABOUT IT image
    The charge rate will also drop but it will be fine
  • KaosKaneKaosKane Club Members Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭
    image in decided to bump this as i still have no real answer "do i have to buy a power pack to charge 4S lipo or can i still do it from a 12 volt car battery"
    Yes u can i did this (trickle charger and all) for a year until i got a 7.5A 12v power supply from jacar for $29.00 sweet now cos i can watch.

Ps if u have ever see a lipo bang and burn u would neva leave it unatended.. :} HTH
    Computer shops are good for $5 2nd hand computer supplies. 12v 15amp
    image image thanks guys much appricated all your help

regards ray now i get it
    If your looking for a new charger in the future you can't beat an icharger 3010b. Nothing like charging a 5000mah pack in 10 minutes :). 1000w charger. Yum!

If you have not got a Lipo bag yet, get one!

• FlyDownUnderFlyDownUnder ɹǝpun uʍopClub Members Posts: 738
    If your looking for a new charger in the future you can't beat an icharger 3010b. Nothing like charging a 5000mah pack in 10 minutes :). 1000w charger. Yum!

If you have not got a Lipo bag yet, get one!

I hope the stitching isn't nylon like it used to be, Anthony said thay changed it to fiberglass, but about 6 months later after Anthony said that, there were new bags with nylon stitching still turning up at my club image .
    Yeah, that was while ago. Mine have glass thread.
  • __nixy__nixy Club Members Posts: 5
    Be careful not to take too much from the car battery though.

If you have a 100 amp hr battery, it will (I think) be trashed if you take 100 Ah from it?

I would worry if the voltage, under load, went below, say, 11 volts. Perhaps take no more than 30 Ah (@12v).

What do others think?
    A good charger will have a low input voltage setting. If the battery drops below this value, it will reduce input current and the charging.

Fred
    the batter i use is and old one it is just put inbetween the imax 6 charger and my car battery charger as it would not work when directly connected image spitty yes i have had alipo bag for ages wouldnt use anything else dont want any uncontrolable fires around here
    That battery is dead. Don't even use it as it's drawing current and adding no value.

That battery is dead. Don't even use it as it's drawing current and adding no value.

Its protecting the charger from running directly on a car battery charger. Like a huge capacitor.
  • triolustriolus Club Members Posts: 1
    You can always buy Nomex thread online from a quality shop and re-stitch with a sewing machine...
  • TheQuestorTheQuestor TXClub Members Posts: 629
    I always enjoy seeing someone answer a 4 and a half year old dead thread :) And answer with a totally off topic response at that. But hey 1st post, gotta start somewhere.

Maybe he thought mentioning "Nomex thread" might revive this thread,,,,,,,,,,,,, somehow??????   image
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    You must be in stitches Sawdust but you can be a bit of a sew and sew
  • WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭
    Urrrrghhhhhh! Lol Daithi!
    I haven't really 'cottoned' on to what you mean Daithi. I'm sure I'm 'knot' really that bad image .
  • DaithiDaithi Belfast,IrelandClub Members Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭
    Now you reely should stop bobbin'
  • DivenParkerDivenParker Club Members Posts: 2
    You'd better not to do it.4s lipo battery need a 4s changers, As we know,1s=3.7V, so 4s =14.8V. So if you use a 12V to changer a 4s lipo battery, it is bad for your battery's life and capacity.DivenParker2016-10-24 16:06:55
  • WTWUKWTWUK CornwallClub Members Posts: 13,255 ✭✭✭
    Incorrect. It is perfectly acceptable to use a 12v car battery to charge a 4S LiPo. I often use one to charge 22.2V 6S LiPo's.

You should have read the thread, when you will have seen that most LiPo chargers have the required circuitry to provide the required voltages for the respective cell counts.
  • __Evan__Evan Club Members Posts: 1,122
    DivenParker - as WTWUK has said, you're wrong. However, I'm really curious about how you reached your conclusion that it'd damage battery life and capacity. If the charger wasn't able to step-up the voltage then you wouldn't be able to charge a 4S LiPo battery from a 12V car battery, but I honestly can't see any possible way that this could damage either of them.

The only way to do damage would be to connect them directly together (ie no charger), which would reduce the lifespan of both batteries and probably also that of the user to a matter of milliseconds.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file